Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

C-Section for Cervical Swelling?! (she had her baby--update)

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm wondering because my sister in law claims that she has to have a c-section because her cervix is swollen and the internal exam (36week) hurt. She claims the doctor was pushing for a natural labor, but now claims that if she labors she most likely won't be able to deliver. I'm not trying to sway her or anything. She's beyond that even if I wanted to, but I'm just wondering about this because I've never heard of this. I don't mean to sound mean or judgmental against her, but I have a feeling that her doctor is doing this out of convenience and she's just said the "natural" part because I post about birth and breastfeeding (not like others need my approval do what they want with their bodies!)

So, she went ahead with the c-section. Baby was 7lbs 11oz and was put on oxygen (a nasal cannula) because he got fluid in his lungs from the section. My sister was just leaving as they were weaning him off. It irritates me that my SIL would put my nephew's health and safety at risk for her comfort and her refusal to take responsibility to educate herself. Yes, I feel it's important not to become the doctor, but I feel that at the end of the day the buck stops with the parents.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Replies (51-55):
MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah, I saw that. :)

Quoting hapababies:

Oh my goodness, no, that wasn't directed at you. I was quoting the other person and it posted by itself.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

I'm confused. Are you talking to me? I never called anyone including my SIL names. I just said I was frustrated that she refused to educate herself and her choice harmed my nephew.

Quoting hapababies:

What are you taking about? I'm not starting a fight and I have never started a fight. I'm just saying that name calling is unnecessary and makes you look like you can't get your point across any other way.

mimiforkids
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I have never joined a group to reply but your post and question  was of great interest to me because 10 years ago, the EXACT thing happened to ME. you SIL is correct...I was in labor for 22 hours, everything was going fine until I was told e we would need to have an emergency C SECTION because of internal swelling cosing my cervix to close. When my daughter was born,, she had a "Stork bite" which left a red mark on her forehead and by the top of her neck. She was trying so hard to get out that her pushing cause my cervix to swell. I had never heard of such a thing until the day of my daughters' miraculous birth.

Magnolia7
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM

As many people have stated above, cervical swelling can happen during the end of labor - often when moms are directed to forcefully push before they are really ready.  However, what happened above is quite different and was not a reason to call for a c/section - she wasn't anywhere near labor and her cervix had not yet dilated/effaced yet.

Also, 'stork bites' are just something that happen to certain children - it's a congenital capillary malformation that happens in about a quarter of all newborns, a birthmark.  It's not from how the baby was born, just happens.  :)

Quoting mimiforkids:

I have never joined a group to reply but your post and question  was of great interest to me because 10 years ago, the EXACT thing happened to ME. you SIL is correct...I was in labor for 22 hours, everything was going fine until I was told e we would need to have an emergency C SECTION because of internal swelling cosing my cervix to close. When my daughter was born,, she had a "Stork bite" which left a red mark on her forehead and by the top of her neck. She was trying so hard to get out that her pushing cause my cervix to swell. I had never heard of such a thing until the day of my daughters' miraculous birth.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Glad everyone is doing ok.  I guess I'm lucky when I had my c-sections my babies never had to have oxygen. Hope she heals ok.

Cynthje
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Totally different situation than described by the OP. The lady was NOT in labor at all, the post was about planning a section because of a swolen cervix well before labor even started

Quoting mimiforkids:

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN