Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

C-Section for Cervical Swelling?! (she had her baby--update)

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm wondering because my sister in law claims that she has to have a c-section because her cervix is swollen and the internal exam (36week) hurt. She claims the doctor was pushing for a natural labor, but now claims that if she labors she most likely won't be able to deliver. I'm not trying to sway her or anything. She's beyond that even if I wanted to, but I'm just wondering about this because I've never heard of this. I don't mean to sound mean or judgmental against her, but I have a feeling that her doctor is doing this out of convenience and she's just said the "natural" part because I post about birth and breastfeeding (not like others need my approval do what they want with their bodies!)

So, she went ahead with the c-section. Baby was 7lbs 11oz and was put on oxygen (a nasal cannula) because he got fluid in his lungs from the section. My sister was just leaving as they were weaning him off. It irritates me that my SIL would put my nephew's health and safety at risk for her comfort and her refusal to take responsibility to educate herself. Yes, I feel it's important not to become the doctor, but I feel that at the end of the day the buck stops with the parents.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
Magnolia7
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Although crack moms usually have vaginal births.  :)  They tend to have what are called "explosive deliveries."  Ok, off the tangent.

The cervix can swell when a mom is in labor and dilating/effacing and there is excessive pressure or irritation against the cervix.  This can cause the cervix to swell and make things a bit complicated.

However at 36 weeks?  No, that's bull.  Her cervix still has a whole 'nother month to dilate and efface. It hasn't even started to do that so how can it be swollen?  The current state of her cervix has nothing to do with what will happen when her body actually goes into labor.  And yeah, a cervical exam hurts!  We weren't meant to have strangers sticking their hands up our hoo-has and poking our cervixes! 

I smell BS and doubt that OB was ever supportive of natural birth.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

neither have I! That's why I think she's just BSing with me about the doctor pushing natural birth. I wish people would grow some ovaries and own their choices. Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean I think everyone should do what I think! In any case I'm leaving it alone with her. I've learned that she's one of those women that does exactly as she's told. She has done no real preparation for the birth aside from going to appointments and picking out the nursery theme. Of course that's at least a step better than the crack moms who don't even know they're pregnant till the end or at birth!

Quoting larissalarie:

I've never heard of such a thing.

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:26 AM

:o/ 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

melindabelcher
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh boy!
Sounds like an unnecessarian to me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Beth3721
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Never heard of it.  Don't most cervical exams hurt?  Mine did. 

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM

As for regular checks they bother me, but for pregnancy exams I never had one because I have to have real medically necessary c-sections.

Quoting Beth3721:

bbyblueAK
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM

i havent heard of anything like that

SarineLewis
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:00 AM
O_o
Swelling is a normal part of pregnancy. Sounds to me like she is scared of going through the pains of labor and delivery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beth3721
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM

So you went your whole pregnancy without a cervical exam?  I don't think that's right.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

As for regular checks they bother me, but for pregnancy exams I never had one because I have to have real medically necessary c-sections.

Quoting Beth3721:

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM

at 6 weeks I had an initial pap smear, but yes. I talked to the midwife about my condition and she checked me and had me meet with the OB. I had massive pelvic floor surgery at 5 weeks and so my perineum is extremely weak. I had my C-section scheduled around 10 weeks, and during the visits they never did another. They said that even for vaginal births they don't like to check unless mom reports something.

Quoting Beth3721:

So you went your whole pregnancy without a cervical exam?  I don't think that's right.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting Beth3721:

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Yeah. What I find sad is that people just blindly follow what they're told without question.

Quoting SarineLewis:

O_o
Swelling is a normal part of pregnancy. Sounds to me like she is scared of going through the pains of labor and delivery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN