Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

C-Section for Cervical Swelling?! (she had her baby--update)

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm wondering because my sister in law claims that she has to have a c-section because her cervix is swollen and the internal exam (36week) hurt. She claims the doctor was pushing for a natural labor, but now claims that if she labors she most likely won't be able to deliver. I'm not trying to sway her or anything. She's beyond that even if I wanted to, but I'm just wondering about this because I've never heard of this. I don't mean to sound mean or judgmental against her, but I have a feeling that her doctor is doing this out of convenience and she's just said the "natural" part because I post about birth and breastfeeding (not like others need my approval do what they want with their bodies!)

So, she went ahead with the c-section. Baby was 7lbs 11oz and was put on oxygen (a nasal cannula) because he got fluid in his lungs from the section. My sister was just leaving as they were weaning him off. It irritates me that my SIL would put my nephew's health and safety at risk for her comfort and her refusal to take responsibility to educate herself. Yes, I feel it's important not to become the doctor, but I feel that at the end of the day the buck stops with the parents.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Replies (31-40):
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Thanks for the update.. sending prayers for baby's health. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:32 AM

he's okay now. He finally got to be held after like 15 hours! I'm torn between feeling bad for her  and feeling angry at her for putting him in danger. she was telling me a few days ago that she plans on BF with no bottles until she is at least 6 weeks. I hope that is still the case.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Thanks for the update.. sending prayers for baby's health. 

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:36 AM

I hope so, too. And fifteen hours.. that breaks my heart. Poor baby.. :o( 

Quoting MonicaV1982: he's okay now. He finally got to be held after like 15 hours! I'm torn between feeling bad for her  and feeling angry at her for putting him in danger. she was telling me a few days ago that she plans on BF with no bottles until she is at least 6 weeks. I hope that is still the case.
Quoting catholicmamamia: Thanks for the update.. sending prayers for baby's health.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:39 AM

apparently he had fluid in his lungs and he was on oxygen for a while.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Quoting MonicaV1982: he's okay now. He finally got to be held after like 15 hours! I'm torn between feeling bad for her  and feeling angry at her for putting him in danger. she was telling me a few days ago that she plans on BF with no bottles until she is at least 6 weeks. I hope that is still the case.
Quoting catholicmamamia: Thanks for the update.. sending prayers for baby's health.

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Correction it was 11 hours.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

LondonsMomma84
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Lol. I just had an entire pregnancy, labor, and delivery without ever having a vaginal exam. It was amazing. :) VEs are completely unnecessary most f the time.

Quoting Beth3721:

So you went your whole pregnancy without a cervical exam?  I don't think that's right.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

As for regular checks they bother me, but for pregnancy exams I never had one because I have to have real medically necessary c-sections.

Quoting Beth3721:

Never heard of it.  Don't most cervical exams hurt?  Mine did. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM

That sucks..my SIL is having a stupid csection today

Cynthje
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Poor baby :( Sadly a lot of parents wont learn even from something like this

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I had a c-section because I was told I have too much scar tissue. I'm still looking up ways to try and have a vbac.

Quoting Cynthje:

Poor baby :( Sadly a lot of parents wont learn even from something like this

Duquesne
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM
So, you must know the whole story to be so judgmental?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)