Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Troubles Breastfeeding 1st, am going to try a 2nd time. . . Need suggestions.

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 15 Replies

So I BF my DD for a month. It was the most miserable month of my life! I wasn't producing enough milk for her, my nipples were cracked and bleeding, and she was hungry all the time so I never got any sleep. I am all for BF and am going to do it again. What are some things I can do to help build my supply to keep my baby satisfied and to prevent nipple cracking? I really want to BF as long as I can this time with little to no complications.

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                                                                                              I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!

Pregnancy%20ticker
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Did you get her lacth checked? Your nipples shouldn't crack when latch is good. Maybe she had tongie lie, which would account for why you weren't satisfying her because she wasn't transfering it. I'd research tongue/lip tie so you know this time around. Your supply is based on the amount baby nurses. So if you need more milk you nurse more. Having a good healthy diet and not dieting are important. You need enough calories to support this! 

And nursing babies will go through phases of nursing all night, thats just how babies all. SO don't expect to get much sleep early on :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Quoting madisonsmom2005:

So I BF my DD for a month. It was the most miserable month of my life! I wasn't producing enough milk for herwhat told you this, my nipples were cracked and bleedinghmmm first week or so I can see but past that its a latch issue, and she was hungry all the time so I never got any sleepnewborns do nurse a TON, learn side lying nursing it can help. I am all for BF and am going to do it again. What are some things I can do to help build my supply to keep my baby satisfied and to prevent nipple cracking?depends on why you think supply was low and what caused the crackingI really want to BF as long as I can this time with little to no complications.

Well complications happen even to a seasoned BFing mom, but supply is easy to solve though most moms think they dont produce enough and their supply is fine.  Lanolin is great for nipples to start off with to prevent cracking but if cracking persists baby should be checked for a lip or tongue tie

madisonsmom2005
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I know I wasn't producing enough because she wasn't having as many wet and dirty diapers as she should have been. Plus I used a breast pump and got at most an ounce out of each breast. I had my DD at the hospital and they were supportive of BF, but were no help at all. I called the BF consultant at the hospital and she told me to use a nipple shield. This did NOTHING to help me. My DD lost more weight than the doctor was comfortable with so she told me to switch to formula since it seemed that I wasn't producing enough to keep up with my DD. So I did. I was so upset that I couldn't BF my DD that I was sobbing at my doctor's office and she told me not to worry about it because I tried the best I could. No one ever once told me about the lip or tongue tie. They all told me I was doing it right, but my nipples told a different story. I will definitely check into that this time around. I think my major problem was lack of support from someone who had actually BF.

PEEK05
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Another thing that might come in handy is reading the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I'm reading it for the second time and whenever I have a specific issue, I'm going to look in the contents for troubleshooting advice. : ) I like to use that in addition to online resources such as the Breastfeeding group, kellymom.com, etc.

piwife
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Normal diaper out put is 6-8 diapers on 24 hrs. Never judge supply based on pumping, normal pumping out is .5 to 2 oz between both breast, was latched ever corrected. Newborn babies nurse all the time. Is nor mal for them to cluster feed. The first 6 . But yeah I agree with checking for tongue tide

Quoting madisonsmom2005:

I know I wasn't producing enough because she wasn't having as many wet and dirty diapers as she should have been. Plus I used a breast pump and got at most an ounce out of each breast. I had my DD at the hospital and they were supportive of BF, but were no help at all. I called the BF consultant at the hospital and she told me to use a nipple shield. This did NOTHING to help me. My DD lost more weight than the doctor was comfortable with so she told me to switch to formula since it seemed that I wasn't producing enough to keep up with my DD. So I did. I was so upset that I couldn't BF my DD that I was sobbing at my doctor's office and she told me not to worry about it because I tried the best I could. No one ever once told me about the lip or tongue tie. They all told me I was doing it right, but my nipples told a different story. I will definitely check into that this time around. I think my major problem was lack of support from someone who had actually BF.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting madisonsmom2005:

I know I wasn't producing enough because she wasn't having as many wet and dirty diapers as she should have been. ok that is a good sign..but do you remember what she was getting?Plus I used a breast pump and got at most an ounce out of each breastWOW 2 oz a pumping session? thats awesome, you had plenty of milk honestly I had my DD at the hospital and they were supportive of BF, but were no help at all. I called the BF consultant at the hospital and she told me to use a nipple shield. This did NOTHING to help me. My DD lost more weight than the doctor was comfortable with so she told me to switch to formula since it seemed that I wasn't producing enough to keep up with my DDARGH!!! how much did she lose? PLUS there are TONS of ways to raise supply, theres never a reason to switch fully to formula even if you do have supply issues SIGH. So I did. I was so upset that I couldn't BF my DD that I was sobbing at my doctor's office and she told me not to worry about it because I tried the best I could.that pisses me off beause she didnt give you the info you needed to succeed, you were lied to, you did the best you could with the info you had but its NOT the best that couldve been done...raising supply CAN be done and easilly with fenugreek, oatmeal, and realistic expectationsNo one ever once told me about the lip or tongue tie. They all told me I was doing it right, but my nipples told a different story.yeah this means you need to find a GOOD lactation consultant NOW a real IBCLC that will give you correct infoI will definitely check into that this time around. I think my major problem was lack of support from someone who had actually BF.and lying doctors

madisonsmom2005
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM

It was 7 years ago so I honestly don't remember how much she lost. I totally agree with all of your statements. I just thought I had no other choice at the time. I started to look into more natural methods when my DD was about 3. I have since educated myself on everything that I was disappointed with with my DD. I have come to the conclusion that I was disappointed with pretty much everything. I have become so upset with how the majority of our society views birth, breastfeeding, and child care that I have made it a point to ignore the neighsayers and do what I believe is best for my child.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting madisonsmom2005:

I know I wasn't producing enough because she wasn't having as many wet and dirty diapers as she should have been. ok that is a good sign..but do you remember what she was getting?Plus I used a breast pump and got at most an ounce out of each breastWOW 2 oz a pumping session? thats awesome, you had plenty of milk honestly I had my DD at the hospital and they were supportive of BF, but were no help at all. I called the BF consultant at the hospital and she told me to use a nipple shield. This did NOTHING to help me. My DD lost more weight than the doctor was comfortable with so she told me to switch to formula since it seemed that I wasn't producing enough to keep up with my DDARGH!!! how much did she lose? PLUS there are TONS of ways to raise supply, theres never a reason to switch fully to formula even if you do have supply issues SIGH. So I did. I was so upset that I couldn't BF my DD that I was sobbing at my doctor's office and she told me not to worry about it because I tried the best I could.that pisses me off beause she didnt give you the info you needed to succeed, you were lied to, you did the best you could with the info you had but its NOT the best that couldve been done...raising supply CAN be done and easilly with fenugreek, oatmeal, and realistic expectationsNo one ever once told me about the lip or tongue tie. They all told me I was doing it right, but my nipples told a different story.yeah this means you need to find a GOOD lactation consultant NOW a real IBCLC that will give you correct infoI will definitely check into that this time around. I think my major problem was lack of support from someone who had actually BF.and lying doctors

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                                                                                              I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!

Pregnancy%20ticker
doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

What kind of complications and how did you work on it?
Are you currently in classes or LaLeche?

Lots of things you can do prenatally!
:-)

WANT TO PREPARE FOR BFing WHILE YOU'RE PREGNANT?

Do what you can to stay hydrated, well-fed, rested.

Go for as natural a birth as possible.

Keep baby with you at birth, no bottles or pacifiers.

Plan to have help at home so that you don't need to do anything but Babymoon.

Stay in bed for 2 weeks breastfeeding.

Let others handle life for you.

Stay committed, know that keeping with it can be tricky but worth it!

Start attending La Leche League meetings now and continue after the birth for information and support.

You can read The Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding now, too.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You can do it momma! join BFing moms on here, kellymom.com would be a great bookmark for you and the books "so thats what theyre for" by janet tamaro is a great boo to have around

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I hope it works out for you. My 3rd time was a charm, it was just easy with him while i struggled with the first two.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)