Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Natural ways to fight depression?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, it has been a week and I am really struggling. DH still has a week at school, and if the kids were not here with me I would not get out of bed. I have no desire to do anything. I hate feeling this way. I have had PPD in the past(with DD, 7 years ago), and took medication for it, but reacted really badly to it. It made the depression worse, to the point where I needed to be hospitalized. I don't want to go that route again if I can avoid it. What are some natural ways to deal with depression? Are there herbal suppliments that help on the bad days?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM

set small goals- instaed of thinking of everything you have to do that day think of one little thing you could do and do it and repeat

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM

diet, exercise and plenty of sleep(yeah i know easier said the done with little ones

instead of trying to exercise for liek an hout at a time try to get in as many little work out sessions as you can(again with the small reasonable goals)

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM

do something new...depression is caused by ruts. go do something fun you havent doen befoe or in a long time

lifeforchrist
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM

the best way i know to help depression (and this is from my own experience) is to get enough vit d. If you don't get a lot of sun and its to cold to go out with short sleeves go to the health food store and get a vit. d supplement. Then you need to look at yor nutrition and if your getting enough good health saturated fats for your brain. eggs coconut oil butter and a good cod liver oil supplement. I use nordic naturals. You should also get on a whole foods vitamin to ensure good nutrition. Innate is a good brand. go for walks, get natural sunlight and fresh air.

AimeeE
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Several studies have been done that show 1 handful of raw cashews every day will help as well as Prozac. Here is so more info on the topic for you. :) Take care & feel better.

http://skinallnatural.com/blog/2011/05/natural-depression-treatment/

You can also watch the  documentaryFood Matters for more information on how cashews can help.  I watched it through Netflix streaming.

Diamondblue1
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM

i hope there is. i just had a baby 3 1/2 months ago and i'm still dealing with ppd. i gained more weight from eating it's just horrible. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Vitamin B12. High doses of it. I take 12,000 mcg daily. Along with vitamin c, vitamin d, flaxseed oil, and Probiotics I feel so much better. Vitamin b12 & vitamin d deficiencies along with gluten and food intolerances can cause depression and anxiety
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:10 AM

sunlight...force yourself to get out of the house everyday...exercise helps alot too

skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Vit d. But in a pinch I have found that l-theanine helps. It is derived from green tea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Exercise works wonders for me. I was medicated for depression 6 years ago. I hated the way the medication made me feel. I found studies that suggest moderate exercise has been proven just as effective as zoloft...I dusted off the treadmill & started walking a couple of miles every day. Within a week, I felt normal again. Hang in there, mama!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)