Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

this cant be right....

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

so i am working on a business plan to start growing all natural, pesticide/insecticide free, gmo free heirloom veggies locally.  my whole business model is based around sustainable high quality food and my target market is middle/lower class who struggle to afford good quality veggies.  my pricing would focus on wholesale marketing and bulk sales. 

i decided to contact our local farmers market to get information on lot rentals so i could start my financial projections.  i called the local rep and spoke with her and what i found out totally shocked me.  they have very specific pricing guidelines and you are not allowed to sell veggies for less than 30% of the same highest price vegetable being sold.  they also do not allow bulk discounts or "dumping" which is when reduce prices at the end of market in order to get rid of your excess produce.  they focus on price fixing at retail prices...which may be beneficial for the farmer but can have terrible affects on a lower income consumers ability to afford to shop there. 

honestly this makes me very angry.  having spent years of my life struggling to afford good quality food i am now FINALLY in a position to grow much of my food myself.  i know the struggle that many people face....they WANT to buy all natural gmo free foods and support local sustainable farming but cant afford to or are not in a position to grow their own.  now the very place that should be helping people gain access to good food is essentially pricing it out of the market.  i shouldnt have to price my produce at organic prices.  i shouldnt have to alienate the core demographic that i was trying to reach.  i shouldnt have to change my entire price structure in order to take more money from rich people while poor people continue to struggle and go without.

so i think i am going to look at doing independent produce stands instead.  at this point i refuse to support an organization that purposefully creates an environment that divides a community.  its just not a compromise i am willing to make.

lol okay rant over...i feel a little better now :)

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow, that isn't right. Maybe you can just start your own private business/food stand. Advertise in your local paper, Craigslist, or churches to get your word out.
It is refreshing to hear about a business that cares more about its people than its profit margin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Wow that does suck ass.
Who is "they"? Is there a second person you can ask the same questions to?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM

What about offering Buy 2 get 1 free offers (30% off) or Buy 1 get 1 at the end of the day.       You can charge full price but let customers know they will receive something free.   ??

nikzup03
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:28 PM
I don't want to sound like I don't understand high prices. But growing food and harvesting isn't easy. Farmers get the short end of The stick when is comes to making money. Industry farms and factory farms also get subsidizes and then they are owned. Local farmers have to work their butt off and barely break profit each year, then get told their prices are too high. Though I don't know why they won't let you sell the older stuff to get rid of it so people can eat it, that is odd. But grocery store food is extremely cheap. Try other farmers though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM
That's what I was thinking, use the internet and sell from home.

As someone who was buying from a local farm and had to quit because it got too expensive, this is annoying! You should be able to sell at the price you want, this is America after all!

Quoting hapababies:

Wow, that isn't right. Maybe you can just start your own private business/food stand. Advertise in your local paper, Craigslist, or churches to get your word out.

It is refreshing to hear about a business that cares more about its people than its profit margin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amycapl
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM

watch the movie "Food Inc."   It explains why this type of thing is happening... changed the way i thought about food completely. 

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM

That is great that you want to do that! It sucks that you cannot sell for what you want through the farmer's market. Trying to sell via the internet is a good idea.

bbyblueAK
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM

wow that isnt right and i would go for the fruit/veggie stand by yourself

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Wow.. that would frustrate me, too! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I think I would go the independent route, as well. 

Quoting bbyblueAK: i would go for the fruit/veggie stand by yourself

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)