Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All suggestions for fixing my 1 yr olds sleep issues have backfired :( (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post
My 1 yr old ds used to be a great sleeper. We've coslept since birth. I can tell he is ready to stop,but won't. Here is what is going on: He's become a super light sleeper. I move an inch and he wiggles. He constantly wants his bottle until 2 am. As in,he wakes every 20 min to an hour looking for it. Often he will be wide awake after only an hour or two (Goes to bed at 10) even though he is still tired Lately he fights sleep with all he's got (the other night he stayed up til 2 screaming for two hours no matter what. Yeah,overtired) As expected,he rolls around in bed making room for us slim to none (small bed) His wake/nap/sleep times are over the place (I have a routine for putting him to sleep) When we lay him in his crib he either wakes up every two hours (hubby lays him down) or wakes up instantly (I lay him down) and screams. He hates his crib What I've tried: Feed him more,later (yeah,then he won't take his bottle and can't fall asleep without it. Made him over tired) to try to get him to sleep longer Lay him down as he is falling asleep,in a deep sleep,any stage of sleep. He still wakes up. Hubby will do the Cio method,but I will not. I can't handle it. He can't stand his arms wrapped up so swaddling is a no go.

If we had a bigger bed,I would keep cosleeping. Buuuut I'm also 37 weeks pregnant. I'm exhausted! He's been going through a ton of developmental milestones lately (started saying 3 words on Wednesday!!!) and I know that has something to do with his sleep habits. We've been trying to wean him for months.

I just don't know what to try now. He is becoming a night owl more and more. Only time he sleeps good is when I regretfully allow him to take an evening nap. Then he stays up til 1 or two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:51 AM
Replies (11-13):
kiki2382
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM
I agree, Sidecar the crib.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I forgot to mention that her twin bed was in her own room. When we transitioned, the goal was for her to stay in her own space until midnight. After a few weeks, we moved it till 1am, then 2am, then 3am... You get the picture. It worked really well for us. 

Wishing you the best for your upcoming delivery! 

Quoting SarineLewis:

I would do that, but we don't have room. Last night I put his mattress on the floor next to ours and he slept decent. Til he got stuck between the two lol. I woke up, but he didn't when that happened. It was funny.

That's what I've been thinking. We've decided to research and fix his schedule later. 

Quoting littlelambe2:

How about putting him in his own big bed? We transitioned dd from bed sharing in a queen, to her own twin sized bed at 15 months. She hated being confined. The bigger bed let her stretch out, plus, when she was going to sleep or waking in the middle of the night, one of us could still lay with her but slip away once she was asleep. Of course, the mattress was on the floor. 

I wouldn't do anything drastic as far as forcing sleep before the new baby comes. Chances are, he'll have some sleep issues when the new baby arrives. 

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Get a bigger bed, get another mattress to place next to your bed, or sidecar a crib/ toddlerbed. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Quoting jellyphish:

Side car.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)