Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

There is an explosion Of special needs children.

Their mothers that have 3 or4 kids and each of them have something different. I'm really thinking about doing my thesis on this. There are so many different factors like genetics, environment ..Prenatal care or lack of. Exposure.

What are your thoughts on a family having 3-4 kids all with a issue. Whether it be autism, add or sensory ..etc
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Replies (21-30):
EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I think it's sad, and really rough for the parents and kids alike. It's one of the reasons i believe in trying to avoid having children closer than 18 to 24 months apart. that way you have a chance to see if one child has an issues before you move on and have a bunch more. but everyone has the right to do whatever. i have a lot of other theories but i don't want to offend anyone.

moroccanmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Oh I learned in a interesting fact in class about the DHA. Our bodies give the majority of our dha to our first pregnancy ..each pregnancy after gets less to none. Dha is vital to a growing brain.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM
There is no big explosion of them. They've always been there. Parents were just always forced to deal with them and blamed for the problem. Now that time has gone on more people with undiagnosed problems are having kids and so on etc. It's genetic and hereditary. No one wants to believe it. They just blame it on whatever is convenient.

I didn't do any of the same stuff with any of my pregnancies or any of their births. All of my kids are autistic. It runs in my family that I can date back to 1904. I'm sure it goes back much further. There are a lot more kids out there not diagnosed.

BTW I love how you continue to talk about me in this group from the other one. Nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM
LOL OMG this is so offensive. Saying environment causes autism is so ridiculous. Autism is caused by a malformation of the brain.
Quoting moroccanmommy:

Therioes vary... I did some research last week on the neurological connections in the brain while in utero with various teragein exposure . In utero is so important ..... Erikson and Piaget makes sense..

environment also plays a huge role, in that, family cohesion and interactions are indicators of out come. Even Maslow's theory makes a lot of sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HamBergerMama
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I think Jill has a point, if you look back there are certainly people with what we would call autism today documented throughout history. (Certainly many undocumented, but some of the genius' of history show serious social signs of autism.) 

Why do we see more of it? Well our population has grown, so it only makes sense that there would be more people with autism, since there are more people. 

Additionally, our society is set up to basically set off people and kids with sensory disorders. We are surrounded by technology and constant stimulation which just might be too much for autistic kids. This kind of stimulation simply wasn't around/as prevelant in the 20's - 60's etc. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM
All excellent points! And so true....I hadn't thought about the technological aspect and overstimulatation. That's very perceptive

Quoting HamBergerMama:

I think Jill has a point, if you look back there are certainly people with what we would call autism today documented throughout history. (Certainly many undocumented, but some of the genius' of history show serious social signs of autism.) 

Why do we see more of it? Well our population has grown, so it only makes sense that there would be more people with autism, since there are more people. 

Additionally, our society is set up to basically set off people and kids with sensory disorders. We are surrounded by technology and constant stimulation which just might be too much for autistic kids. This kind of stimulation simply wasn't around/as prevelant in the 20's - 60's etc. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM
With my last 3 pregnancies, I was given weekly progesterone injections (p17). I would be interested in seeing studies on long term effects of that. The children are all very "high maintenance". They're completely different than my older 2. I've done casual research on my own, but have found nothing.
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I think there is something to the technology trigger. I don't think that there was such a high percentage of these problems in times past. Sure they were always there, but there has been an unaccountable increase. Some of the ADD/ADHD diagnosis I am sure is trumped up. Just normal kids that have adults around them that don't want to deal with their behaviour. And of course there is the pecuniary compensation given by the gov't for having kids diagnosed in schools. As I said before, there is so much more to this. Not any one thing causing it all there is a compounding of factors.

Quoting HamBergerMama:

Pregnancy%20ticker

http://livinginjoyfulchaos.blogspot.com/
Make a pregnancy ticker
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Actually the school districts don't want to give services if they don't have to and they try very hard not to because they simply don't have the money. I'm fighting them currently for my son to get the autism scholarship through the school district to pay for Aba therapy. They make it incredibly hard to get help unless you're very severe.

My theory is that many of these "new" diagnosis like ADHD, ADD, OCD, bipolar, etc are/ were misinterpretations of autism. ADHD behavior is a huge part of autism for many kids. I see so many kids with SPD with autistic traits. Psychology is always changing and always realizing that what they previously thought was wrong. Drs used to blame parents for autism previously. They said autism was caused by ice box mothers who were cold to their children. That's absurd! They have a long way to go before they've even understood a fraction of autism.

There isn't enough services, therapists, or resources for all of the kids out there who need help. The diagnoses are reserved for the more "severe." If you truly start to understand autism you will find that many autistic people who went through life without help are filling the prisons and jails. They are homeless. They are drug addicts and alcoholics. They live a life of what people call social disease because they can't function in society.... Moving from job to job and not able to hold one. This is why many parents dislike the terms high and low functioning autism. Autism is autism no matter what skills you have that are age appropriate.

Quoting joyful_mama:

I think there is something to the technology trigger. I don't think that there was such a high percentage of these problems in times past. Sure they were always there, but there has been an unaccountable increase. Some of the ADD/ADHD diagnosis I am sure is trumped up. Just normal kids that have adults around them that don't want to deal with their behaviour. And of course there is the pecuniary compensation given by the gov't for having kids diagnosed in schools. As I said before, there is so much more to this. Not any one thing causing it all there is a compounding of factors.

Quoting HamBergerMama:

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I am very skeptical, I admit. There are just so many disorders, and there are new ones cropping up all the time. I know there really are people out there with real problems, but I do believe many times normal kids are labeled with some disorder and then drugged. I don't really know enough about it to speak with authority or any real confidence, but I do find it hard to believe that such a large portion of the population is afflicted with real mental disorders.

Quoting jconney80:

Actually the school districts don't want to give services if they don't have to and they try very hard not to because they simply don't have the money. I'm fighting them currently for my son to get the autism scholarship through the school district to pay for Aba therapy. They make it incredibly hard to get help unless you're very severe.

My theory is that many of these "new" diagnosis like ADHD, ADD, OCD, bipolar, etc are/ were misinterpretations of autism. ADHD behavior is a huge part of autism for many kids. I see so many kids with SPD with autistic traits. Psychology is always changing and always realizing that what they previously thought was wrong. Drs used to blame parents for autism previously. They said autism was caused by ice box mothers who were cold to their children. That's absurd! They have a long way to go before they've even understood a fraction of autism.

There isn't enough services, therapists, or resources for all of the kids out there who need help. The diagnoses are reserved for the more "severe." If you truly start to understand autism you will find that many autistic people who went through life without help are filling the prisons and jails. They are homeless. They are drug addicts and alcoholics. They live a life of what people call social disease because they can't function in society.... Moving from job to job and not able to hold one. This is why many parents dislike the terms high and low functioning autism. Autism is autism no matter what skills you have that are age appropriate.

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting HamBergerMama:

Pregnancy%20ticker

http://livinginjoyfulchaos.blogspot.com/
Make a pregnancy ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)