Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Pitocin - How to avoid! **Update**

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 33 Replies

I'm going to be induced. I'm not a doctor and don't know what's really safe and not as far as my platelet count. It dropped from 135 to 109 in only a week! I couldn't believe it dropped so fast. She wants to induce, I think either tomorrow or Wednesday, we've got an appointment for tomorrow at 9:30am.

I want to avoid pitocin - such a nasty drug with HORRIBLE side affects. I need to know what other things can help me go into labor naturally.

I've had sex with dh several times, done the stairs, spicy food, baths, walking, EVERYTHING "safe" I've heard, I've been trying. Recently I heard pineapple juice? I'll be trying that tonight if you guys suggest it.

Please help with anything you can think of. If it comes down to it, I think from what I've seen the best option is the Foley Bulb? Please chime in with anything you want to say - without being mean, I just want to know everyone's opinion on different methods and what my other options are. :)

**So, I was induced with pitocin for 18 hours and still not really dialated so I told them I was done stressing baby and having all those drugs. So, here I am at home still pregnant! I feel so bad but baby's GREAT! He'll come when he's ready!**

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

If I had to be induced, I'd start with a foley bulb, then cervidil.

AVOID cytotec (misoprostol).

Breaking water sometimes works, but I would prefer to keep water intact to avoid infection and so that if the induction doesn't work, you can go home and try again in a day or two.

ETA: sometimes you can start with a pit drip, and shut it off once contractions start.

Julia.C
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I was given pitocin and it made my labor and delivery feel like an exorcism.  I had contractions lasting up to 10 minutes, one right after the other - they had to give me several shots to actually STOP the contractions after it was given.  It was awful.    - - 

Some funny suggestions I have heard:

• Ginger Ale ( suggested to me by the lady at Home Depot )
  • Soaking your feet in an herbal bath.
  • Laughing fest ( told to me by a nurse )

I sure hope you go into labor soon and can avoid all of that crazy stuff.  Just make it through safe and healthy... Good luck to you..

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Herbal bath? What kind of herbs? I don't have any just sitting around...

Quoting Julia.C:

I was given pitocin and it made my labor and delivery feel like an exorcism.  I had contractions lasting up to 10 minutes, one right after the other - they had to give me several shots to actually STOP the contractions after it was given.  It was awful.    - - 

Some funny suggestions I have heard:

• Ginger Ale ( suggested to me by the lady at Home Depot )
  • Soaking your feet in an herbal bath.
  • Laughing fest ( told to me by a nurse )

I sure hope you go into labor soon and can avoid all of that crazy stuff.  Just make it through safe and healthy... Good luck to you..

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Sex, walking uk and down stairs, chiropracter, accupressure or accupuncture, eveninf primrose i hear helps. Thats all i got right now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM
The Pitocin hurt NOTHING like the foley bulb! That was a pain like I had never felt!

I was induced for preeclampsia. It sucked that I didn't get my natural birth, but I did get my vaginal birth because I refused to have my water broken until *I* felt I was progressing.

Let go of your ideas about a totally natural birth if you do get induced, and give yourself permission to grieve. Definitely revise your birth plan and take it with you. I was firm on skin-to-skin and no episiotomy and some other things, even though I couldn't go drug-free...

Good luck, mama! P&T your way!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

If I had to be induced, I'd start with a foley bulb, then cervidil.

AVOID cytotec (misoprostol).

Breaking water sometimes works, but I would prefer to keep water intact to avoid infection and so that if the induction doesn't work, you can go home and try again in a day or two.

ETA: sometimes you can start with a pit drip, and shut it off once contractions start.

YES this

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump so I can follow.
Ichthus
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I had pitocen with my first, and like pp, my labor was excruciating(no epidural)! I hope you have the option to get an epidural if you are induced. With my second, I was induced and also had an epidural. That one was easy (about as easy as birth can get). Has the doctor tried stripping your membranes? I would also put off the delivery if you can so you could try a chiropractor. I would definitely NOT break your water. My SIL wanted a natural birth. Everything was going fine until they broke her water. She ended up with an emergency C-Section after 27 hours of labor. Are you overdue or she is worried about the platelet count? If I were you, I'd be doing some research to find out how serious that really is.

madisonsmom2005
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I was also induced for my DD. I would suggest just breaking the water and nothing else. REFUSE PITOCIN!! You have that right. They cannot give you drugs without your consent. Let your doctor know your feelings, but most importantly the nurses. Your doctor may be on board with you, but tell the nurses because they will be there with you for the entire process. They are usually the problem. Don't let them guilt you into it either. Stand firm and have your DH voice his opinion if they get mouthy with you. Good luck and can't wait to hear the good news!

hugs

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                                                                                              I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!

Pregnancy%20ticker
Magnolia7
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Why is your platelet count dropping?  Are you having any other signs or symptoms? This would be important for her to explain before doing anything.  Does she plan on doing anything to up the count before induction? 

Induction often leads to c-section and I would be very nervous looking at a c-section with a low platelet count.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)