Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How to induce naturally

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 67 Replies

I'm 37 weeks and I'm 3 cm dilated.  Lost my mucus plug between yesterday and today.  I've been walking a lot since Saturday and want to know if there is anything I can do to bring on labor.  Or does any of that mean labor is coming soon?  And soon I mean hours....Thanks

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tansyflower
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

some woman lose part of their mucus plug and will go weeks before starting labor, so that in itself is not a sign that you will start labor within a few hours.  although for me i went into labor within 24 hours both times after losing my mucus plug.

all i can say is be patient.  at 37 weeks you still have a lot of time.  keep yourself well hydrated, get lots or rest and eat well.  other than that just try to be patient and let this little one come when he or she is ready :)

Ichthus
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Nope, neither of those are signs that labor is coming soon. I lost my mucus plug 2 weeks before my 1st ds was born, and I had to be induced at 10 days overdue. Look at the post about avoiding pitocin for some ideas to help labor get started.

SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Please don't try.  Your LO isn't ready.  I know it's getting hard but for your LOs health it is worth waiting.

mommaoftwo
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I won't let my midwife check my dialation lol

I am either 40 +2 or 39 +1 depending on if you go by my LMP or early u/s, I have two or three hrs of contractions and then nothing

Sooooo annoying

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM
5 moms liked this
The best induction remedy is patience.
A good mantra when you get anxious is "a baby is easier to take care of on the inside than on the outside."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lurion
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

My sister "jump started" things with Castor Oil--but she was going on 2 weeks overdue. 

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't try to get labor going. It will do that all on its own. 37 wks is still early. It could be weeks before you have a baby. Don't wear yourself out trying to make it happen. It will at the right time.

Whatever you do, don't do Castor Oil. Please.

slovette
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Ok I will thanks!  I didn't lose mine with my first baby and I delivered at 38 weeks.  This is my second so I was hoping things would happen sooner.

Quoting Ichthus:

Nope, neither of those are signs that labor is coming soon. I lost my mucus plug 2 weeks before my 1st ds was born, and I had to be induced at 10 days overdue. Look at the post about avoiding pitocin for some ideas to help labor get started.

slovette
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I tried it and it made me contract 4 mins apart but it didn't make me dilate past 3 cm so they sent me home.

Quoting Lurion:

My sister "jump started" things with Castor Oil--but she was going on 2 weeks overdue. 

ShesALady
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM
I just lost part of my mucus plug today at 38 +4 weeks, but I'm not really having contractions. It's not a good indicator of when labor will start. For me 37 weeks is early. I won't even think about labor starting until I'm at least 39 weeks. Try sitting on an exercise ball and doing some pelvic rolls and bouncing lightly up and down.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)