Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm 37 weeks and I'm 3 cm dilated.  Lost my mucus plug between yesterday and today.  I've been walking a lot since Saturday and want to know if there is anything I can do to bring on labor.  Or does any of that mean labor is coming soon?  And soon I mean hours....Thanks

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Your doctor is wrong. A lot more than weight gain goes on from 37-40 wks.

Quoting slovette:

I know the longer the better but at my appt last week my doctor said baby is done developing and now is just adding on weight until D-Day.  I had a steroid shot at 32 weeks for baby's lungs just in case she came early because I was conracting then.  So although I know nothing is for sure, my doctor said I'm pretty much any day now.

Quoting joyful_mama:

Why? It is best for babe to bake until 39+ wks. 

Quoting slovette:

Ok I will thanks!  I didn't lose mine with my first baby and I delivered at 38 weeks.  This is my second so I was hoping things would happen sooner.

Quoting Ichthus:

Nope, neither of those are signs that labor is coming soon. I lost my mucus plug 2 weeks before my 1st ds was born, and I had to be induced at 10 days overdue. Look at the post about avoiding pitocin for some ideas to help labor get started.

Pregnancy%20ticker

http://livinginjoyfulchaos.blogspot.com/
Make a pregnancy ticker
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Tabi_cat posted this link earlier, but I'll post it again

39 weeks March of Dimes

Quoting slovette:

I know the longer the better but at my appt last week my doctor said baby is done developing and now is just adding on weight until D-Day.  I had a steroid shot at 32 weeks for baby's lungs just in case she came early because I was conracting then.  So although I know nothing is for sure, my doctor said I'm pretty much any day now.

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting slovette:

Ok I will thanks!  I didn't lose mine with my first baby and I delivered at 38 weeks.  This is my second so I was hoping things would happen sooner.

Quoting Ichthus:

Nope, neither of those are signs that labor is coming soon. I lost my mucus plug 2 weeks before my 1st ds was born, and I had to be induced at 10 days overdue. Look at the post about avoiding pitocin for some ideas to help labor get started.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Make a pregnancy ticker
Ichthus
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I realize that, but there were suggestions for how to try to get labor started. Slovette asked if there was anything she could do to bring on labor, so I thought the other post might have some helpful suggestions for her.

Quoting joyful_mama:

That post was by someone who was facing induction for medical reasons, not impatience. 

Quoting Ichthus:

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM
When your baby is ready, they will tell your body. Trust your baby. I had 2 babies at 42 weeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
slovette
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Well what is still eveloping after 37 weeks?  My doctor and everything I've seen online says development is pretty much done.

http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-37-weeks_1126.bc

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting slovette:

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting slovette:

Quoting Ichthus:

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM
2 moms liked this

She shouldn't be wanting to induce labor this early. Encouraging bad behavior is not a good idea. There is nothing wrong with her or her baby she should wait.

Quoting Ichthus:

I realize that, but there were suggestions for how to try to get labor started. Slovette asked if there was anything she could do to bring on labor, so I thought the other post might have some helpful suggestions for her.

Quoting joyful_mama:

That post was by someone who was facing induction for medical reasons, not impatience. 

Quoting Ichthus:

Pregnancy%20ticker

Make a pregnancy ticker
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh goodness, that must have been hard on your baby.

Quoting slovette:

I tried it and it made me contract 4 mins apart but it didn't make me dilate past 3 cm so they sent me home.

Quoting Lurion:

My sister "jump started" things with Castor Oil--but she was going on 2 weeks overdue. 

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
If your baby was ready to be here, they WOULD be here.

Quoting slovette:

Well what is still eveloping after 37 weeks?  My doctor and everything I've seen online says development is pretty much done.

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting slovette:

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting slovette:

Quoting Ichthus:

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/pregnancy_39weeks.html

Doctors say stupid crap all the time. Fact is your baby will be better off if you don't try to evict him/her. You acknowledge that it is best to wait and yet ignore even that in the quest to have your baby early just because... not for any real medical reason but only that you are tired of being pregnant and impatient to see your baby. Do what is best for that baby and just wait.

Quoting slovette:

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting slovette:

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting slovette:

Quoting Ichthus:

Pregnancy%20ticker

Make a pregnancy ticker
littlelambe2
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Just like all babies reach milestones at different times, have height and weight spurts at different times, etc, after they're born, they all don't develop according to a set schedule before they are born. Sure, there are consistencies, but its not a pinpoint science. Otherwise, every single baby would be born after X amount of time in the womb. And no one would deliver after or before their estimated due date. What you're looking at is averages. Some babies are ready earlier (and mom goes into labor earlier) and some take longer to develop (and mom's deliver "past due".) Nature is smart. Your body will go into labor when baby is completely ready. You can't decide baby is ready based on some pre-conceived timeline. That's why we are all telling you to wait. If baby was done developing, baby would already be here.

Quoting slovette:

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting slovette:

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting slovette:

Quoting Ichthus:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN