Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm 37 weeks and I'm 3 cm dilated.  Lost my mucus plug between yesterday and today.  I've been walking a lot since Saturday and want to know if there is anything I can do to bring on labor.  Or does any of that mean labor is coming soon?  And soon I mean hours....Thanks

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

It might be another month to go still.

You can induce in the hospital or at home, but it's still adding unnecessary risks.
  Is that something you want to do?

Cynthje
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM

There are many reasons why its not a good idea to induce so early, the march of dimes link given to you has great information on why its a bad idea. 

Babies are not simply done developing because you hit x week (in the us 37 weeks is given but in most parts of the world its considered at 38 weeks), there are 37 weekers that end up in the nicu because they simply were not ready to be born, it happens. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I think it's different for everyone. I lost my mucous plug and started labor within hours with both kids. Sex really helped speed up the process with my last labor.

Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Oh momma, just wait a few more weeks :) Baby  will be so much better off getting those last few weeks! 
 My sister had her babies at 35 weeks (Only 2 weeks earlier than you are now). Both of her twins have respiratory issues and might need glasses because the Oxygen they were on messed with their eyes.
Anything to keep that baby in there to incubate longer, is best.
Please don't rush something that your body will do naturally when it is ready.  

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I was induced at 37 weeks for preeclampsia and I was so sad that my child may not have the brain development that happens in the last month. A LOT more than weight gain happens in those last few weeks. I am jealous that you get to selfishly try to induce the end to your pregnancy. I begged and cried with my doctors for EVERY DAY my child got to develop inside me. :(

Quoting slovette:

Well what is still eveloping after 37 weeks?  My doctor and everything I've seen online says development is pretty much done.

http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-37-weeks_1126.bc

Quoting joyful_mama:

Your doctor is wrong. A lot more than weight gain goes on from 37-40 wks.

Quoting slovette:

I know the longer the better but at my appt last week my doctor said baby is done developing and now is just adding on weight until D-Day.  I had a steroid shot at 32 weeks for baby's lungs just in case she came early because I was conracting then.  So although I know nothing is for sure, my doctor said I'm pretty much any day now.

Quoting joyful_mama:

Why? It is best for babe to bake until 39+ wks. 

Quoting slovette:

Ok I will thanks!  I didn't lose mine with my first baby and I delivered at 38 weeks.  This is my second so I was hoping things would happen sooner.

Quoting Ichthus:

Nope, neither of those are signs that labor is coming soon. I lost my mucus plug 2 weeks before my 1st ds was born, and I had to be induced at 10 days overdue. Look at the post about avoiding pitocin for some ideas to help labor get started.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Quoting Cynthje:

Babies are not simply done developing because you hit x week (in the us 37 weeks is given but in most parts of the world its considered at 38 weeks), there are 37 weekers that end up in the nicu because they simply were not ready to be born, it happens. 

Yes- there are 40-week NICU "preemies" too. --Because they weren't ready to be born.

Babies aren't all ready at exactly Day #280, it can take a few weeks longer/shorter...  somewhere around there!   ;-)

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting slovette:

Well what is still eveloping after 37 weeks?  My doctor and everything I've seen online says development is pretty much done.

A lot is nearly done, but not all.     Along with weigh and brain, the immunities are important too.     But just as important as what the baby benefits is not having unnecessary risks.     Induction means force.    It means that the baby and mom's body aren't ready for birth yet.    (baby might survive but that does not mean it was Time yet)

There are important reasons why we are pregnant until we are not.   ;-)

Beware of a doctor that prefers to manage labor.   This is for convenience--  When health & safety are the priorities then we must avoid unnecessary risks.

GL!

Birth is a process that probably lasts about a month or more, when
you think of how the baby works his/her way into position, mom's body
prepares with the uterus thickening at the top and thinning at the
bottom and the cervix prepares itself to dilate for the final pushes in
this process. It is such an amazing, divine plan and in this day and age
so easily disturbed—possibly as never before. I think induction,
possibly in any form, can disrupt this plan, interrupting the baby's
process of positioning and getting ready to be born. As Carla Hartley
says, "Birth is safe, interference is risky."

Jan Tritten, mother of Midwifery Today
magazine

SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I just had my LO at 36 weeks due to severe pre e and HELLP.  It was the worst experience of my life and makes me terrified to get pregnant again.  I was literally screaming and crying over having her so early.  I knew I was forcing her out before she was ready and I carry a lot of guilt over not being able to give her a full 40+ weeks.  I managed 36 weeks after being diagnosed at 34.  I'm jealous of moms that get the full 40 too.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I was induced at 37 weeks for preeclampsia and I was so sad that my child may not have the brain development that happens in the last month. A LOT more than weight gain happens in those last few weeks. I am jealous that you get to selfishly try to induce the end to your pregnancy. I begged and cried with my doctors for EVERY DAY my child got to develop inside me. :(

Quoting 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Look at the march of dimes links...sucking reflex, brain development is the HUGE thing, lungs too even with the steroids

Quoting slovette:

http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-37-weeks_1126.bc

Quoting joyful_mama:

Your doctor is wrong. A lot more than weight gain goes on from 37-40 wks.

Quoting slovette:

I know the longer the better but at my appt last week my doctor said baby is done developing and now is just adding on weight until D-Day.  I had a steroid shot at 32 weeks for baby's lungs just in case she came early because I was conracting then.  So although I know nothing is for sure, my doctor said I'm pretty much any day now.

Quoting joyful_mama:

Why? It is best for babe to bake until 39+ wks. 

Quoting slovette:

Ok I will thanks!  I didn't lose mine with my first baby and I delivered at 38 weeks.  This is my second so I was hoping things would happen sooner.

Quoting Ichthus:

Nope, neither of those are signs that labor is coming soon. I lost my mucus plug 2 weeks before my 1st ds was born, and I had to be induced at 10 days overdue. Look at the post about avoiding pitocin for some ideas to help labor get started.

tansyflower
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM

all i can say is a good friend of mine was induced at 38 weeks and in his first day of life that child was starved, had a spinal tap done and was kept in an incumbator away from his own mother while he struggled to survive being forced into the world too soon.  i dont know why you would want to risk that mama :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)