Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm 37 weeks and I'm 3 cm dilated.  Lost my mucus plug between yesterday and today.  I've been walking a lot since Saturday and want to know if there is anything I can do to bring on labor.  Or does any of that mean labor is coming soon?  And soon I mean hours....Thanks

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Replies (41-50):
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Mama, guilt has no place when there are circumstances beyond our control. You had a legitimate medical necessity for early delivery. Do not beat yourself up over that.

Quoting SadieJames:

I just had my LO at 36 weeks due to severe pre e and HELLP.  It was the worst experience of my life and makes me terrified to get pregnant again.  I was literally screaming and crying over having her so early.  I knew I was forcing her out before she was ready and I carry a lot of guilt over not being able to give her a full 40+ weeks.  I managed 36 weeks after being diagnosed at 34.  I'm jealous of moms that get the full 40 too.

Pregnancy%20ticker

http://livinginjoyfulchaos.blogspot.com/
Make a pregnancy ticker
larissalarie
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Aww, 37 weeks is way too early!! Baby's brain volume will increase by a third in these last 3 weeks, please don't try to rob baby of these precious days in your womb. New studies show that 37 weekers don't perform as well academically as full term, 40 week babies.

Also a baby born that early can still have many problems from being underdeveloped. Just two posts in here this week about babies induced at 38 weeks having major, serious issues from being born early.

It's never a good idea to induce, naturally or otherwise, without serious medical necessity, but it's just plain selfish at 37 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Yep, with my first baby, the one I actually did the cervical checks with, I was dilated to a 3-4 for about a month before I had her.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

mucus plugs and rebuild themselves and moms can sit at 3cm forever...I know its not what you want to hear but your baby is MUCH safer insied than out until atleast 39 weeks!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Thank you.  It's just hard to come to terms with when I know the risks of having an early baby.  I had gained over 100 lbs in six weeks, had platelet counts below 20,000, heart rate of 158/110 and was in the beginning of kidney failure so the practical side of me knows it was best but I just worry she will be behind because of the lost womb time.  I EBF so I'm hoping that makes up for it a little bit.  

Quoting joyful_mama:

Mama, guilt has no place when there are circumstances beyond our control. You had a legitimate medical necessity for early delivery. Do not beat yourself up over that.

Quoting SadieJames:

I just had my LO at 36 weeks due to severe pre e and HELLP.  It was the worst experience of my life and makes me terrified to get pregnant again.  I was literally screaming and crying over having her so early.  I knew I was forcing her out before she was ready and I carry a lot of guilt over not being able to give her a full 40+ weeks.  I managed 36 weeks after being diagnosed at 34.  I'm jealous of moms that get the full 40 too.

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I was diagnosed at 35 weeks.

Wyatt may be our only child. I wish you healthiness and peace if you decide to carry another child... <3

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I was induced at 37 weeks for preeclampsia and I was so sad that my child may not have the brain development that happens in the last month. A LOT more than weight gain happens in those last few weeks. I am jealous that you get to selfishly try to induce the end to your pregnancy. I begged and cried with my doctors for EVERY DAY my child got to develop inside me. :(

Quoting 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HamBergerMama
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I didn't read all the replies, but a big thing is the baby's suck reflex. My ds was born at 37+2. He was a healthy weight (7lb 10 oz) but he had zero suck reflex.

Forget nursing, he wouldn't take a paci or a bottle either. For 3 days the only way I could get him to eat was syringe feeding. It was horrid :-(

We struggled with jaundice because his feeding started off so rough.

I know they say 37 weeks is "full term" but its not. From personal experience I would never want one that early again :-(

Quoting slovette:

Well what is still eveloping after 37 weeks?  My doctor and everything I've seen online says development is pretty much done.

http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-37-weeks_1126.bc

Quoting joyful_mama:

Your doctor is wrong. A lot more than weight gain goes on from 37-40 wks.

Quoting slovette:

I know the longer the better but at my appt last week my doctor said baby is done developing and now is just adding on weight until D-Day.  I had a steroid shot at 32 weeks for baby's lungs just in case she came early because I was conracting then.  So although I know nothing is for sure, my doctor said I'm pretty much any day now.

Quoting joyful_mama:

Why? It is best for babe to bake until 39+ wks. 

Quoting slovette:

Ok I will thanks!  I didn't lose mine with my first baby and I delivered at 38 weeks.  This is my second so I was hoping things would happen sooner.

Quoting Ichthus:

Nope, neither of those are signs that labor is coming soon. I lost my mucus plug 2 weeks before my 1st ds was born, and I had to be induced at 10 days overdue. Look at the post about avoiding pitocin for some ideas to help labor get started.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Quoting larissalarie: Aww, 37 weeks is way too early!! Baby's brain volume will increase by a third in these last 3 weeks, please don't try to rob baby of these precious days in your womb. New studies show that 37 weekers don't perform as well academically as full term, 40 week babies. Also a baby born that early can still have many problems from being underdeveloped. Just two posts in here this week about babies induced at 38 weeks having major, serious issues from being born early. It's never a good idea to induce, naturally or otherwise, without serious medical necessity, but it's just plain selfish at 37 weeks.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Quoting joyful_mama: Mama, guilt has no place when there are circumstances beyond our control. You had a legitimate medical necessity for early delivery. Do not beat yourself up over that.
Quoting SadieJames

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

SAHM927
by Lesly on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM
4 moms liked this

This post makes me sad. 

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I had the same experience. I begged and pleaded for my baby to have more time when I was supposed to be induced at 37 weeks because my baby had IUGR due to placental issues. I cried so hard when they broke my water knowing that my opportunity to have a completely natural birth was gone.
I understand how you feel. I wish I had the opportunity to know what it's like to go into labor naturally. When I say naturally, I mean: no castor oil, no membrane sweeps, none of that. I want to know what it feels like for my body and baby to decide its time.
I'm jealous of those who have experienced that.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I was induced at 37 weeks for preeclampsia and I was so sad that my child may not have the brain development that happens in the last month. A LOT more than weight gain happens in those last few weeks. I am jealous that you get to selfishly try to induce the end to your pregnancy. I begged and cried with my doctors for EVERY DAY my child got to develop inside me. :(

Quoting slovette:

Well what is still eveloping after 37 weeks?  My doctor and everything I've seen online says development is pretty much done.

http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-37-weeks_1126.bc

Quoting joyful_mama:

Your doctor is wrong. A lot more than weight gain goes on from 37-40 wks.

Quoting slovette:

I know the longer the better but at my appt last week my doctor said baby is done developing and now is just adding on weight until D-Day.  I had a steroid shot at 32 weeks for baby's lungs just in case she came early because I was conracting then.  So although I know nothing is for sure, my doctor said I'm pretty much any day now.

Quoting joyful_mama:

Why? It is best for babe to bake until 39+ wks. 

Quoting slovette:

Ok I will thanks!  I didn't lose mine with my first baby and I delivered at 38 weeks.  This is my second so I was hoping things would happen sooner.

Quoting Ichthus:

Nope, neither of those are signs that labor is coming soon. I lost my mucus plug 2 weeks before my 1st ds was born, and I had to be induced at 10 days overdue. Look at the post about avoiding pitocin for some ideas to help labor get started.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)