Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Labor and the moon

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM
  • 37 Replies

I can't remember if any of my labors were affected by the moon cycles. Do any of you have stories about that? IIRC: New moon pulls late. Full moon pulls early. So, if there is really anything to that my babe could come right 'on time' or a day or two early. Full moon is on my EDD. I was kind of hoping to be 'late. I am so not ready for this baby! LOL

Pregnancy%20ticker

http://livinginjoyfulchaos.blogspot.com/
Make a pregnancy ticker
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Isis was due 4 days after a full moon. She was born the morning after it.
The story goes like this:
The evening of the full moon I started having contractions regularly and close together, but not intense. Being a first timer I went to the hospital where I was found to be only 3 cm. I did hours of walking and got up to 4 1/2 cm. even though my contractions still weren't intense they admitted me to L&D. I should have just gone home, I think they would have stopped. Instead, a few hours later at 5 cm they started pit. She was born almost 6 hrs after that.
I think the moon encouraged mild contractions, but that she would have kept cooking a few days had we let her.

Second time, however, at 40w 4d I went walking outside my house under a full moon and nothing happened. Hera wasn't born until 41w.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Hmmm, I have no idea what phase the moon was in when I had my children!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I went back and looked. With dd3 She came the day after the full moon, I'd started labor on the full moon. Within a day of her edd.

With dd4 (babe #7) she came five days after a new moon. A few days before edd.

Last babe was born day before a half moon 30 min past his edd.

Those were the labors where I had absolutely no interventions so the only ones I've considered.

corbysmom531
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM

My one and only was born on a full moon.  He was due June 3rd.  May 30th I took an rx sleeping pill because contractions were keeping me up for weeks.  I woke up the 31st, the day of the full moon, feeling weird, and went into full labor at 2pm.  He was born at 10pm.  They said that their labor unit was usually the fullest on full moon nights, but I think the full night's sleep had more to do with my labor than anything else.

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I've never paid much attention either. I was just looking at the calendar and realized it might be possible to have an Easter baby, which would be cool. My edd is on the full moon though so if I put in stock in that I'd say I won't be going over.

Quoting larissalarie:

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM

What I've noticed with the babes I had with no interventions whatsoever was I crash for the 12-24 hrs before labor starts in earnest. Just my body's way of getting ready I guess.

Quoting corbysmom531:

My one and only was born on a full moon.  He was due June 3rd.  May 30th I took an rx sleeping pill because contractions were keeping me up for weeks.  I woke up the 31st, the day of the full moon, feeling weird, and went into full labor at 2pm.  He was born at 10pm.  They said that their labor unit was usually the fullest on full moon nights, but I think the full night's sleep had more to do with my labor than anything else.

Pregnancy%20ticker

http://livinginjoyfulchaos.blogspot.com/
Make a pregnancy ticker
corbysmom531
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't have any official interventions till labor was already started.  If you count the sleeping pill as an intervention, then I guess that would change things. 

My midwife says that happens a lot when a woman is having a lot of contractions that change your cervix (like mine did) but don't ever turn into real labor.  Your body is tired, and can't rest, so labor never progresses.  So they give you wine (or in my case, a sleeping pill), and you wake up rested and your body can finally do it's job. 

Unfortunately I wasn't educated on interventions, so I wasn't paying attention to all that when my son was born.

Quoting joyful_mama:

What I've noticed with the babes I had with no interventions whatsoever was I crash for the 12-24 hrs before labor starts in earnest. Just my body's way of getting ready I guess.

Quoting corbysmom531:

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I have long (weeks long) prodromal labor. It is exhausting. The sleep, the rest from contractions is what your body needed, it might have done it on its own but maybe not. Does it count as an intervention? Meh, I don't know.

Quoting corbysmom531:

I didn't have any official interventions till labor was already started.  If you count the sleeping pill as an intervention, then I guess that would change things. 

My midwife says that happens a lot when a woman is having a lot of contractions that change your cervix (like mine did) but don't ever turn into real labor.  Your body is tired, and can't rest, so labor never progresses.  So they give you wine (or in my case, a sleeping pill), and you wake up rested and your body can finally do it's job. 

Unfortunately I wasn't educated on interventions, so I wasn't paying attention to all that when my son was born.

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting corbysmom531:

larissalarie
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Since babies are born every day of the year, I'd place more stock in your personal history ;-)

Quoting joyful_mama:

I've never paid much attention either. I was just looking at the calendar and realized it might be possible to have an Easter baby, which would be cool. My edd is on the full moon though so if I put in stock in that I'd say I won't be going over.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Wow, I didn't know you had pit with Isis. Thanks for sharing that. Somehow, it makes me feel better about the mistakes I made with my first labor.

Quoting jellyphish:

Isis was due 4 days after a full moon. She was born the morning after it.

The story goes like this:

The evening of the full moon I started having contractions regularly and close together, but not intense. Being a first timer I went to the hospital where I was found to be only 3 cm. I did hours of walking and got up to 4 1/2 cm. even though my contractions still weren't intense they admitted me to L&D. I should have just gone home, I think they would have stopped. Instead, a few hours later at 5 cm they started pit. She was born almost 6 hrs after that.

I think the moon encouraged mild contractions, but that she would have kept cooking a few days had we let her.

Second time, however, at 40w 4d I went walking outside my house under a full moon and nothing happened. Hera wasn't born until 41w.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN