Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

babywearing for bigger mamas

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 15 Replies
I'd like to wear my baby more but I haven't found anything that I really like and I'm not ready to invest in one of the more expensive carriers unless I can be more certain that it'll work for me. I've been having some weight issues since having my boys so I'm up to about a size 20, and I'm thinking that might be a part of the problem. Are there any carriers that work better for larger women?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Have you looked into moby wraps? I'm plus size myself and the wrap seems like it would work.
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM
The Ergo "sport" has an extended waistband strap. I'm not certain what size it goes up to, but it's a good amount longer than my regular one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM

i did not like the moby wrap for a lot of reasons.  but i LOVE my ring sling and it is so versatile for babies of all ages :)

RADmomma
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I am about an 18 and I have an Ergo... plus I made my own Moby. LOVE It.

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I was 235 when I had my son and I loved the Moby Wrap. I also bought a Baby Hawk Mei Tei, they have an option for longer straps so you don't feel like your making it too tight just to make it fit. 

Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I am a size 16/18 and the Boba3G fits me with LOTS of room to spare. My husband is a bigger guy and it fits him with room to spare. 

Directly from the website- Waist Belt: 25”-58” 

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I love my ring sling.  I made it myself from the pattern on MayaWrap.com and gave it a couple feet extra fabric...

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM
A lot of wraps would work. Especially if you made them yourself. :) I know things like Ergo have the option of extenders.

A moby wrap is great for newborns but doesn't last long. Stretchy wraps don't provide enough support once baby is about 20ish pounds.
Woven wraps are nice. I love mine. I can still wrap my 4 yr old nicely.
I have a gauze wrap for summer so it doesn't get too hot.
I also have a ring sling, and I'm planning to make a meitai.
wearyourbaby.com is the site I use for my wrap making advice.

As for trying before you buy, check boutiques in your area. Some have 30 day trials. :)
Good luck!
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM

the Ergo and the Boba 3G are both great for larger moms and size down if needed. Im actually saving for a 3G since it would be able to be adjusted to me size and to my fiance's size with very little hassel. 

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I am a size 16 and I have Room to spare on the Beco Butterfly II. No extender needed. I had an ergo and I was pretty tight and I almost needed the extender. You can also use ring slings or longer warps. I have a babyette gauze wrap but would love a woven.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)