Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

how would you feel

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 32 Replies
My little boy is 2 1/2 weeks old, he was born with a birth defect called a penile chordee. He's going to have to have surgery to repair this. I've been researching the surgery and it says that they will have to take his foreskin and use it as a skin graft. I'm assuming that to do this they'll have to circumcise him. We did not want him circumcised, but it sounds like we have no choice. I'm having mixed emotions on this. How would you feel? I haven't met with the urologist yet, so I don't know if there are any other options, I'm just going off of my research until his appointment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM

IMO circumcision is the ritualistic cutting of a males genitals for aesthetic purposes.  Basically a cosmetic procedure.  What you may have to do is correcting an actual problem.  Totally different.

i would look at other options with the urologist though.  

nicole4ray
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM
I will definitely discuss other options first. I feel so bad just thinking about my son having to go through this. But if we don't fix it while he's a baby then it will be really hard on him as an adult. I really hate the thought of my tiny baby having surgery.

Quoting SadieJames:

IMO circumcision is the ritualistic cutting of a males genitals for aesthetic purposes.  Basically a cosmetic procedure.  What you may have to do is correcting an actual problem.  Totally different.

i would look at other options with the urologist though.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Cutting it off for correcting a medical problem is NOT the same as doing it for the heck of it! Don't feel bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Hugs! I'm so sorry.

If its not emergent, and you have a little time, I'd take that time to maybe get a couple opinions, consult with different practitioners (like a naturopathic ped for ex), and research options. It's going to be hard, but when it's all said and done you'll know you've done what you've had to do and your son will be better off for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Terpsichore
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

For some surgeries, they have synthetic materials that are more expensive but less painful. Surgeries requiring skin grafts- it makes sense to me to use tissue that most closely resembles the area needing the graft. That must be why they take skin from buttcheeks to graft face cheeks after removal of melonoma spots. laughing

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you posted your question to the Whole Network? They might have more information for you.

https://www.facebook.com/WholeNetwork

nicole4ray
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I had never heard of the whole network, I'll check that out. Thanks.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Have you posted your question to the Whole Network? They might have more information for you.

https://www.facebook.com/WholeNetwork

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole4ray
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Lol!

Quoting Terpsichore:

For some surgeries, they have synthetic materials that are more expensive but less painful. Surgeries requiring skin grafts- it makes sense to me to use tissue that most closely resembles the area needing the graft. That must be why they take skin from buttcheeks to graft face cheeks after removal of melonoma spots. laughing

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

This.. I would do the research, contact whole network, get the second opinion, choose what is in the best interest of my child, and then be at peace once my child is well.

Quoting jellyphish: Hugs! I'm so sorry. If its not emergent, and you have a little time, I'd take that time to maybe get a couple opinions, consult with different practitioners (like a naturopathic ped for ex), and research options. It's going to be hard, but when it's all said and done you'll know you've done what you've had to do and your son will be better off for it.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

VintageWife
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I may be taking it wrong, but this website sounds like it is saying it's not a good idea to circumsize a penis with chordee (a curve?)...

http://newborns.stanford.edu/PhotoGallery/Chordee1.html

It says on this site...

"Chordee exists when there is a ventral curvature of the penis. It can occur in the setting of hypospadias, but can also be isolated, as in this case. In this baby, the curvature is most visible from this view from the side. Chordee is a contraindication to circumcision in the newborn period, but if desired, circumcision can be done at the time of surgical correction."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN