Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

raising money for a midwife? edit....

Posted by   + Show Post

We are expecting number 4, got rid of most baby stuff, but i dont need much, plus i get lots of hand me downs anyways so i wasnt going to plan a baby shower.

Now, i really dont have peace about a hospital birth, dh is not comfortable with a uc, and i really want to stay home. So i was thinking of maybe doing a fundraiser party or something to make money for a midwife. What do you think? Anyone try something like this before?

ok, just to add: I was thinking of maybe having it as a gender reveal party, and just adding a gift basket we could raffle to help pay for a midwife. Would that be less tacky?

Also, want to do yard sales etc.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I know a women who is doing a fundraiser to pay for her midwife, to me there is nothing wrong with it. You fo what you want and need to do. Oh and she has it set up online where people can donate, i can link it for you to see if you want
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Quoting Nicolle_09:

I know a women who is doing a fundraiser to pay for her midwife, to me there is nothing wrong with it. You fo what you want and need to do. Oh and she has it set up online where people can donate, i can link it for you to see if you want

yes, please do :)

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

you can find her under Tales of a Kitchen Witch on facebook and here is the link to her online fundraiser http://www.indiegogo.com/tkwhomebirth

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

A friend of mine is having a gender reveal party/game night where people will be placing bets on games and buying raffle tickets for people to make guesses on baby's height, weight, birthday, time, etc.

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Have a shower than retur all the presents for money 

kitchen.sink
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

seriously?

Quoting amazzonia:

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Why not? If she needs money and people thinks that asking for money is rude she should do that....than I'm afraid that people wold never give her money knowing what is for, 90% of people is against homebirth, but is not right that she ends up not having a homebirth just because she can't afford it, hopefully one day insurance will cover all the costs of homebirth

Quoting kitchen.sink:

seriously?

Quoting amazzonia:

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

kind of stupid that insurance won't cover it entirely, isn't a midwife cheaper for them than a hospital birth? 

Quoting amazzonia:

Why not? If she needs money and people thinks that asking for money is rude she should do that....than I'm afraid that people wold never give her money knowing what is for, 90% of people is against homebirth, but is not right that she ends up not having a homebirth just because she can't afford it, hopefully one day insurance will cover all the costs of homebirth

Quoting kitchen.sink:

seriously?

Quoting amazzonia:

kitchen.sink
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I totally agree that it's a shame that the cost of a homebirth prohibits some women from getting to birth at home. And believe me, as a mother who's given birth at home and is a huge homebirth advocate, I know all too well how most people feel about it.

That said, I would never advocate tricking people into putting together a shower for me and purchasing things for my baby and myself just so I could turn around and take it all back for the cash. To me, that's deceitful. I would get rid of my cable and internet, sell things on craigslist, pawn things, have a yard sale, whatever. But I would not lie to those who love me enough to go out and spend the time and money to purchase me a gift just so I could make some extra cash. (shrugs)

Quoting amazzonia:

Quoting kitchen.sink:

seriously?

Quoting amazzonia:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

YEP I knew about hers!! I mean if people think its not cool then they dont need to donate, but people in many natural birth circles would donate.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

you can find her under Tales of a Kitchen Witch on facebook and here is the link to her online fundraiser http://www.indiegogo.com/tkwhomebirth

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN