Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

raising money for a midwife? edit....

Posted by   + Show Post

We are expecting number 4, got rid of most baby stuff, but i dont need much, plus i get lots of hand me downs anyways so i wasnt going to plan a baby shower.

Now, i really dont have peace about a hospital birth, dh is not comfortable with a uc, and i really want to stay home. So i was thinking of maybe doing a fundraiser party or something to make money for a midwife. What do you think? Anyone try something like this before?

ok, just to add: I was thinking of maybe having it as a gender reveal party, and just adding a gift basket we could raffle to help pay for a midwife. Would that be less tacky?

Also, want to do yard sales etc.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I dont think thats kosher at all

Quoting amazzonia:

Have a shower than retur all the presents for money 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM

yeah, I'm trying to figure out what can sell or get rid of, thats why we are doing a yard sale, to get rid of things too.  Its hard ot know where to cut back, we have cut back so much already :( FOr tax return DH was talking about getting another car! I pretty much said "over my dead body!" Sorry, thats going to debt we have to pay off now and the rest to a midwife! DH just got into a motorcycle accident, he would ride to work, so now we are stuck with only one car, he is using my mom's van until he can ride, but he can't ride in the rain, so he wanted another car for the days that I need it for work. Sorry, I will quite what I'm doing before we get into more debt, I dont' make enough to pay for another car! I also said "sell your bike" he looked at me like I was crazy....but you can't have your cake and eat it too! 

Quoting kitchen.sink:

I totally agree that it's a shame that the cost of a homebirth prohibits some women from getting to birth at home. And believe me, as a mother who's given birth at home and is a huge homebirth advocate, I know all too well how most people feel about it.

That said, I would never advocate tricking people into putting together a shower for me and purchasing things for my baby and myself just so I could turn around and take it all back for the cash. To me, that's deceitful. I would get rid of my cable and internet, sell things on craigslist, pawn things, have a yard sale, whatever. But I would not lie to those who love me enough to go out and spend the time and money to purchase me a gift just so I could make some extra cash. (shrugs)

Quoting amazzonia:

Why not? If she needs money and people thinks that asking for money is rude she should do that....than I'm afraid that people wold never give her money knowing what is for, 90% of people is against homebirth, but is not right that she ends up not having a homebirth just because she can't afford it, hopefully one day insurance will cover all the costs of homebirth

Quoting kitchen.sink:

seriously?

Quoting amazzonia:

Corina1987
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Ive never had a midwife. How much do they cost?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM

in my area, about 4,400 is typical.

Quoting Corina1987:

Ive never had a midwife. How much do they cost?

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Yes I like the gender reveal party idea!

HeatherD1027
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't read all the comments so sorry if I'm repeating someone. You mentioned having medical bill to pay...have you appied for financial assistance with the hospital? You could possibly get the amount lowered or completely written off if you qualify.
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Quoting amazzonia:

Most places only do returns for in store credit.
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM

So for you it's ok to sell old gifts but not new ones? She could have a shower, asking for gifts and for money for her homebirth as a gift, than at the end of the day, if no one put money for the homebirth she can sell the gifts 

Quoting kitchen.sink:

I totally agree that it's a shame that the cost of a homebirth prohibits some women from getting to birth at home. And believe me, as a mother who's given birth at home and is a huge homebirth advocate, I know all too well how most people feel about it.

That said, I would never advocate tricking people into putting together a shower for me and purchasing things for my baby and myself just so I could turn around and take it all back for the cash. To me, that's deceitful. I would get rid of my cable and internet, sell things on craigslist, pawn things, have a yard sale, whatever. But I would not lie to those who love me enough to go out and spend the time and money to purchase me a gift just so I could make some extra cash. (shrugs)

Quoting amazzonia:

Why not? If she needs money and people thinks that asking for money is rude she should do that....than I'm afraid that people wold never give her money knowing what is for, 90% of people is against homebirth, but is not right that she ends up not having a homebirth just because she can't afford it, hopefully one day insurance will cover all the costs of homebirth

Quoting kitchen.sink:

seriously?

Quoting amazzonia:

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I don't know how much your mw will be but I do surveys online and bring in an extra 70-100 a month. Maybe try that?

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Ive looked into that before. It didnt seem like tge best option, i think you very little.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I don't know how much your mw will be but I do surveys online and bring in an extra 70-100 a month. Maybe try that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN