Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

raising money for a midwife? edit....

Posted by   + Show Post

We are expecting number 4, got rid of most baby stuff, but i dont need much, plus i get lots of hand me downs anyways so i wasnt going to plan a baby shower.

Now, i really dont have peace about a hospital birth, dh is not comfortable with a uc, and i really want to stay home. So i was thinking of maybe doing a fundraiser party or something to make money for a midwife. What do you think? Anyone try something like this before?

ok, just to add: I was thinking of maybe having it as a gender reveal party, and just adding a gift basket we could raffle to help pay for a midwife. Would that be less tacky?

Also, want to do yard sales etc.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
aeroslove
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Rude... Im sorry but you are. I was told by other Midwives to do a Fundraiser or barter. they dont care, they think its different and unique.

Quoting larissalarie:

It's still tacky. No matter how your cut it, setting up a fundraiser for yourself crosses even the microscopic boundaries of decorum left in society today.

I think anybody having a kid could use some extra money, hell we sure could. You don't set up an opportunity to ask. If people want to help you financially, they'll let ya know.

Corina1987
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Wow that is crazy. You dont want to use a ob/gyn in a hospital ?Depending on insurance, that would be way cheaper.

Quoting Precious333:

in my area, about 4,400 is typical.

Quoting Corina1987:

Ive never had a midwife. How much do they cost?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Hospitals here are not natural friendly. I had a pretty traumatic hospital birth with my first, so i really dont have peace about it.

Quoting Corina1987:

Wow that is crazy. You dont want to use a ob/gyn in a hospital ?Depending on insurance, that would be way cheaper.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Corina1987:

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Lol, I'm ok with you calling me rude ;-)

Quoting aeroslove:

Rude... Im sorry but you are. I was told by other Midwives to do a Fundraiser or barter. they dont care, they think its different and unique.

Quoting larissalarie:

It's still tacky. No matter how your cut it, setting up a fundraiser for yourself crosses even the microscopic boundaries of decorum left in society today.

I think anybody having a kid could use some extra money, hell we sure could. You don't set up an opportunity to ask. If people want to help you financially, they'll let ya know.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Corina1987
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Im sorry to hear that. What happened?

Quoting Precious333:

Hospitals here are not natural friendly. I had a pretty traumatic hospital birth with my first, so i really dont have peace about it.

Quoting Corina1987:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Corina1987:

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Long story...lol, i will try short version. Doctor tried to rush labor to get home ib time for dinner. They make me purple push on my back, baby heart rate droppes they used a vacuum. He wasnt breathing and rushes to nicu. Doctor removed my placenta, left to go home i was bleeding out, went into shock and they found my uterus was inverted, rushed me to or and given blood transfusion. Thankfully we are both alive!

Quoting Corina1987:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Corina1987:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Corina1987:

Corina1987
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Wow thats horrible! You should have sued. I dont like hospitals either. Im planning on staying home and laboring until the baby is just about to come then I will go in. Im also going to type up a birth plan that I will bring into the hospital so they know my wishes. Good luck!

Quoting Precious333:

Long story...lol, i will try short version. Doctor tried to rush labor to get home ib time for dinner. They make me purple push on my back, baby heart rate droppes they used a vacuum. He wasnt breathing and rushes to nicu. Doctor removed my placenta, left to go home i was bleeding out, went into shock and they found my uterus was inverted, rushed me to or and given blood transfusion. Thankfully we are both alive!

Quoting Corina1987:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Corina1987:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Corina1987:

Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I don't see a problem with having a "fund raiser' for your birth!  I think that some people have mentioned a concern for it being tacky or uncouth, but there are so many ways to have a party like this and make it fun!  It's all in how you present things.  I love the idea of raffling off prizes, especially if you are craft and can make some of the things to give away!  I am so sure that there are tons of ideas out there for ways that you can "theme" a party with the idea of raising the money!!!  

I am in a similar boat, myself, but this is my first baby, so I have some other options.  We just got the pricing from our birthing center and it's $850 a month for the next four months in order to make sure we are paid up before we have the baby!!!  Yikes!!!  We have barely been making it as is, our lease is up in April and we have no money for a down payment in another place...  Keeping our heads up, though.  I know that this will all work out in the end!!  

Wishing you lots of luck!!!  Would love to hear what you end up doing and if it is successful!!!  :)

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I would not hold a fundraiser/party for myself.. I would work, hold garage sale, budget, save.

If insurance covers hospital and I could not afford the midwife.. I would consider having in place a very specific birth plan and hiring a labor/birth doula to help see it through. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

littlelambe2
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I know this doesn't really answer your post, but a doctor is more so to blame than a hospital. Doctors run hospital, not the other way around. I know you say you are not at peace delivering in the hospital again, but it sounds like your doctor screwed your birth up. Natural birth in a hospital is possible with the right care provider. I've had two. And it only worked because of my doctor. 

i agree with those who say that a fundraiser wouldn't be couth. However, I think if someone asks you what you need, there is nothing wrong with telling someone you would appreciate financial help for your home birth as you already have everything you need for the baby. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)