Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

raising money for a midwife? edit....

Posted by   + Show Post

We are expecting number 4, got rid of most baby stuff, but i dont need much, plus i get lots of hand me downs anyways so i wasnt going to plan a baby shower.

Now, i really dont have peace about a hospital birth, dh is not comfortable with a uc, and i really want to stay home. So i was thinking of maybe doing a fundraiser party or something to make money for a midwife. What do you think? Anyone try something like this before?

ok, just to add: I was thinking of maybe having it as a gender reveal party, and just adding a gift basket we could raffle to help pay for a midwife. Would that be less tacky?

Also, want to do yard sales etc.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Replies (41-50):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Same to you. We wrote up a birthplan. Our mistake was yhe doctor we chose and going in too early.

Quoting Corina1987:

Wow thats horrible! You should have sued. I dont like hospitals either. Im planning on staying home and laboring until the baby is just about to come then I will go in. Im also going to type up a birth plan that I will bring into the hospital so they know my wishes. Good luck!

Quoting Precious333:

Long story...lol, i will try short version. Doctor tried to rush labor to get home ib time for dinner. They make me purple push on my back, baby heart rate droppes they used a vacuum. He wasnt breathing and rushes to nicu. Doctor removed my placenta, left to go home i was bleeding out, went into shock and they found my uterus was inverted, rushed me to or and given blood transfusion. Thankfully we are both alive!

Quoting Corina1987:

Im sorry to hear that. What happened?

Quoting Precious333:

Hospitals here are not natural friendly. I had a pretty traumatic hospital birth with my first, so i really dont have peace about it.

Quoting Corina1987:

Wow that is crazy. You dont want to use a ob/gyn in a hospital ?Depending on insurance, that would be way cheaper.

Quoting Precious333:

in my area, about 4,400 is typical.

Quoting Corina1987:

Ive never had a midwife. How much do they cost?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM
I see your point.. .a good ob is a rarity in my area.

Quoting littlelambe2:

I know this doesn't really answer your post, but a doctor is more so to blame than a hospital. Doctors run hospital, not the other way around. I know you say you are not at peace delivering in the hospital again, but it sounds like your doctor screwed your birth up. Natural birth in a hospital is possible with the right care provider. I've had two. And it only worked because of my doctor. 

i agree with those who say that a fundraiser wouldn't be couth. However, I think if someone asks you what you need, there is nothing wrong with telling someone you would appreciate financial help for your home birth as you already have everything you need for the baby. 

Corina1987
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Thank you. I hope this birth goes better for you.

Quoting Precious333:

Same to you. We wrote up a birthplan. Our mistake was yhe doctor we chose and going in too early.

Quoting Corina1987:

Wow thats horrible! You should have sued. I dont like hospitals either. Im planning on staying home and laboring until the baby is just about to come then I will go in. Im also going to type up a birth plan that I will bring into the hospital so they know my wishes. Good luck!

Quoting Precious333:

Long story...lol, i will try short version. Doctor tried to rush labor to get home ib time for dinner. They make me purple push on my back, baby heart rate droppes they used a vacuum. He wasnt breathing and rushes to nicu. Doctor removed my placenta, left to go home i was bleeding out, went into shock and they found my uterus was inverted, rushed me to or and given blood transfusion. Thankfully we are both alive!

Quoting Corina1987:

Im sorry to hear that. What happened?

Quoting Precious333:

Hospitals here are not natural friendly. I had a pretty traumatic hospital birth with my first, so i really dont have peace about it.

Quoting Corina1987:

Wow that is crazy. You dont want to use a ob/gyn in a hospital ?Depending on insurance, that would be way cheaper.

Quoting Precious333:

in my area, about 4,400 is typical.

Quoting Corina1987:

Ive never had a midwife. How much do they cost?

mamalusbear
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Youe health insurance doesn't cover the cost of a midwife?

GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Quoting mamalusbear:

I know my BlueCross/BlueShield only covers a CNM, not a CPM.  (And a CNM is the same as an OB in my opinion, as they're both governed by the hospital policies in which they work).

vanityrayne
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
You do what you feel like you have to do. I honestly see no reason why not go to the hospital w a doula. I had a natural birth in a hospital 5 months ago. It went great. May I ask what your Traumatic hospital birth was? I think if insurance pays for the hospital and your in debt then a midwife is kind of a stretch. But if you can manage then go right ahead:). Midwives are illegal in my state. So I never got the chance. But you can order a birthing pool and go to the hospital and they will set it up in your room. There plenty of ways to do this:)
mamalusbear
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I have blue shield, and they only cover a CNM too.  

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting mamalusbear:

I know my BlueCross/BlueShield only covers a CNM, not a CPM.  (And a CNM is the same as an OB in my opinion, as they're both governed by the hospital policies in which they work).

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Good luck! I hope she works with you!

Quoting Precious333:

Im still waiting for a call back. She wants t work with us, and hopefully our insuranxe will pay a portion.....but most midwifes in tge area require a full amount upfront......that would take a miracle for us!

Quoting kitchen.sink:

i don't know if i'd have a party... maybe if loved ones ask what you need for the baby you could let them know that you don't need anything, but help towards paying for the birth would be appreciated. most midwives offer a discount if you're paying for it yourself. have you talked to her about that or if she has a sliding scale for families that are struggling financially? some midwives barter, too, so that would be something to ask or consider.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM

hanks, still no call back but I'm meeting with another midwife that looks more promising. Praying it works out!

Quoting jconney80:

Good luck! I hope she works with you!

Quoting Precious333:

Im still waiting for a call back. She wants t work with us, and hopefully our insuranxe will pay a portion.....but most midwifes in tge area require a full amount upfront......that would take a miracle for us!

Quoting kitchen.sink:

i don't know if i'd have a party... maybe if loved ones ask what you need for the baby you could let them know that you don't need anything, but help towards paying for the birth would be appreciated. most midwives offer a discount if you're paying for it yourself. have you talked to her about that or if she has a sliding scale for families that are struggling financially? some midwives barter, too, so that would be something to ask or consider.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
peaches_04
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Are u getting any thing back for taxes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN