Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Low blood pressure

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM
mel
  • 15 Replies
I have a condition. I dont even remember the name (worse then hypotension) my blood pressure runs low, it's orthostatic so it drops while changing position quickly. I cant get to cold or my asthma gets bad. I can't get to hot or I will pass out. I black out from time to time I feel like the room is spinning. Bad headaches when it's low. Fatigue. High heart rate. (just standing still I can feel it come on. One of my more severe episodes my heart rate was 90 jumped to 160 with a b/p drop from 110/70 to 80/40)
I primarily drink as much fluids as I can and load my foods with as much salt as I can tolerate. It definetly helps. The drs recommended two different meds a couple years ago when leilani was still a baby but they said they aren't safe for woman who are pregnant or consider becoming pregnant or bf. They wanted me to stop bf and have no more kids.
Just wondering of anybody has knowledge about this stuff and any better way to manage it other then enough salt to choke a horse
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd seek a good acupuncturist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Will do :)

Curious. Why would acupuncture help? I've heard of it just never utilized it and don't entirely understand it.

Quoting jellyphish:

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM
My understanding is that it changes the flow of energy in the body, it corrects it to fix the ailments.
I have had it done to treat reflux in pregnancy and to learn techniques to help in labor, but I can't actually remember a lot of the specifics he explained to me anymore :-\

I don't have any advice for you, but I how you find help. That sounds very difficult to live with.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Curious. Why would acupuncture help? I've heard of it just never utilized it and don't entirely understand it.

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Thankyou.

Its something i've just kind of gotten used to. I was first diagnosed with migranes after passing out in high school. They put me on 3 different migrane meds together and they didn't work so against my drs advice i weaned myself off and just dealt with it. After I had Marcus it got really bad so i went back to the drs I went to several and just happened to get in with the areas leading "dizzy dr" He figured out what was going on and said that i would be quite interesting to see on a tilt table test but he didn't need to do it and i didn't want to do anything extra.

He transfered me to a cardiologist but i went into boston to get a second opinion probably 2 years ago cause i was frustrated. She said the same thing and also advised no further pregnancies and stop bf. I guess i "deal" with it and every 2 years i get irritated and look into things further.

It can get worse, better, same during pregnancy. Mine usually gets better because of the added weight. Right now my symptoms aren't to bad because my weight is above 155. Once i drop below that and especially below 150 they got markedly worse.

But i'll look into the accupunture.

Did it help your reflux?

Quoting larissalarie:

My understanding is that it changes the flow of energy in the body, it corrects it to fix the ailments.
I have had it done to treat reflux in pregnancy and to learn techniques to help in labor, but I can't actually remember a lot of the specifics he explained to me anymore :-\

I don't have any advice for you, but I how you find help. That sounds very difficult to live with.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting jellyphish:

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
It did help the reflux, but if I didn't go back about once a week it came back.
Thankfully I think I'm not going to have thatproblem this around!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM

what kind of salt are you eating?

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Just regular table salt or sea salt

Quoting tansyflower:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

my mom has wonky blood pressure (too high and then too low) and once she switched over to non refined sea salt it got much better.  i guess table salt and refined sea salt isnt as good for you...you want salt that has color to it and is pretty chunky.  she gets pink and grey stuff from france or something and grinds it down herself.

sorry i dont have any better advise!  i think getting in touch with a naturopath would be a good idea though :)

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting tansyflower:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Acupuncture helps with everything. I heard an acupuncturist once say "if you're broken go to them (md), if you're sick come to us." And it's true. Acupuncture regulates energy flow (chi) which happens to be directly linked to blood. Chi flows through the body just like blood, in my mind it's almost one in the same.
It's basically a way to natural motivate your body to function the way it's supposed to by moving stagnant blood & chi and sedating over activity.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Himalayan pink sea salt is *supposed* to be the best kind of salt.  You can buy it pre ground or in blocks.  We use a block and grate it ourselves.  A lot of speciality spice shops carry it.

Quoting tansyflower:

my mom has wonky blood pressure (too high and then too low) and once she switched over to non refined sea salt it got much better.  i guess table salt and refined sea salt isnt as good for you...you want salt that has color to it and is pretty chunky.  she gets pink and grey stuff from france or something and grinds it down herself.

sorry i dont have any better advise!  i think getting in touch with a naturopath would be a good idea though :)

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting tansyflower:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)