Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Jarred baby food

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 41 Replies
So I get WIC and they give me TONS of baby food jars.....of course it isn't the nice organic kind, just beech nut or gerber. Is it bad for my baby? I had planned on making most if my baby food and then of I wanted something easy I was going to buy the organic stuff in the squeezey pouches. I feel like I should use what WIC gives me but at the same time if it isn't good I will just not use those checks or donate the jars and pay for the good stuff.
What would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM
3 moms liked this
It's not "bad" for your baby, and organic stuff in pouches really wouldn't be any better (actually I think teaching baby to drink their solids is even worse), it's all processed and packaged so it can sit on a shelf and not spoil for years.
What I would do (and have!) is just feed my baby whatever I'm eating, there's never a need for purees if baby is really old enough for solids :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
I just like the pouches because they have the coolest flavors lol. I squeeze them into a bowl and spoon it in haha. I just feel like I should use the WIC stuff if I'm going to do purees because its free but if it is harmful health wise then I don't want to do it kwim?

Quoting larissalarie:

It's not "bad" for your baby, and organic stuff in pouches really wouldn't be any better (actually I think teaching baby to drink their solids is even worse), it's all processed and packaged so it can sit on a shelf and not spoil for years.

What I would do (and have!) is just feed my baby whatever I'm eating, there's never a need for purees if baby is really old enough for solids :-)
mommathea
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually package regular baby food is worse than eating regular non-organic food. The food is in a higher concentration, and often has fillers in it to make it thicker and cheaper.

You can either not cash it in, or donate the jarred food to a family shelter or food pantry.

i feed my babies real food, soft pieces of fruit and veggies, and meat.

2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I'm talking about the jars of fruit and veggies. I will absolutely not feed her the baby cereal they give me. I read the ingredients and its just the fruit and then some absorbic (sp?) acid to keep it fresh and then it's basically canned which is how I figure it has a long shelf life.

Quoting mommathea:

Actually package regular baby food is worse than eating regular non-organic food. The food is in a higher concentration, and often has fillers in it to make it thicker and cheaper.

You can either not cash it in, or donate the jarred food to a family shelter or food pantry.

maggiandmike
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I don't do purées and I get wic. I just get all the baby food and take it to church. I let my friends who do use purées go through it, then donate the rest to a women's shelter.
2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I know I will never use all of the jars so I will definatly be donating a bunch if it. But I do give her purees maybe once every other day so I figure of the beech nut stuff isn't bad then I would use some of it.

Quoting maggiandmike:

I don't do purées and I get wic. I just get all the baby food and take it to church. I let my friends who do use purées go through it, then donate the rest to a women's shelter.
2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM
On a side note I hate WIC lol. The way you have to slow the whole line to use your checks......I feel bad for the cashier!!!!! Plus they give you the crummy eggs and peanut butter and milk and rice. I'm not trying to be ungrateful because it is a help but I wish the govt would actually give healthy food!
maggiandmike
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM
If you're ok with all the sugar, water, and salt they use in purées, then it's healthy enough. I just hate spooning that crap. When they can feed themselves, they will. Also, baby food purées are so new, like maybe 60 years old. Before that, they didn't exist. I'll stick with real food.

Quoting 2forKaty:

I know I will never use all of the jars so I will definatly be donating a bunch if it. But I do give her purees maybe once every other day so I figure of the beech nut stuff isn't bad then I would use some of it.

Quoting maggiandmike:

maggiandmike
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM
It depends on your store. I get better quality things from my neighborhood grocery than Walmart. I always let people know who get in line behind me that I have four transactions, and they scurry. ;) I always put things on the belt with each check so there's nothing the cashier has to do that is extra (it's just like using a regular check.)

Quoting 2forKaty:

On a side note I hate WIC lol. The way you have to slow the whole line to use your checks......I feel bad for the cashier!!!!! Plus they give you the crummy eggs and peanut butter and milk and rice. I'm not trying to be ungrateful because it is a help but I wish the govt would actually give healthy food!
mommathea
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Actually it's the jarred food I was talking about. About 4 years ago there was a big scandle with both beachnut and gerber about the fillers they put in jarred foo and not list. It came down to as long as th ingredients were below a certain percentage then they were not required to list it on the label. 

Quoting 2forKaty:

I'm talking about the jars of fruit and veggies. I will absolutely not feed her the baby cereal they give me. I read the ingredients and its just the fruit and then some absorbic (sp?) acid to keep it fresh and then it's basically canned which is how I figure it has a long shelf life.

Quoting mommathea:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)