Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
So I get WIC and they give me TONS of baby food jars.....of course it isn't the nice organic kind, just beech nut or gerber. Is it bad for my baby? I had planned on making most if my baby food and then of I wanted something easy I was going to buy the organic stuff in the squeezey pouches. I feel like I should use what WIC gives me but at the same time if it isn't good I will just not use those checks or donate the jars and pay for the good stuff.
What would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Ooo I didn't know they added sugar.....I picked ones that said they were just fruit or veggie with the absorbic acid. I looked for sugar and it doesn't list it. The water doesn't bug me but I also don't see salt listed on any of them. How do they get away with adding it but not listing it?

Quoting maggiandmike:

If you're ok with all the sugar, water, and salt they use in purées, then it's healthy enough. I just hate spooning that crap. When they can feed themselves, they will. Also, baby food purées are so new, like maybe 60 years old. Before that, they didn't exist. I'll stick with real food.

Quoting 2forKaty:

I know I will never use all of the jars so I will definatly be donating a bunch if it. But I do give her purees maybe once every other day so I figure of the beech nut stuff isn't bad then I would use some of it.

Quoting maggiandmike:

I don't do purées and I get wic. I just get all the baby food and take it to church. I let my friends who do use purées go through it, then donate the rest to a women's shelter.
2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Oh wow. That is so wrong! Bah. Now I'm not going to use any of it!!!

Quoting mommathea:

Actually it's the jarred food I was talking about. About 4 years ago there was a big scandle with both beachnut and gerber about the fillers they put in jarred foo and not list. It came down to as long as th ingredients were below a certain percentage then they were not required to list it on the label. 

Quoting 2forKaty:

I'm talking about the jars of fruit and veggies. I will absolutely not feed her the baby cereal they give me. I read the ingredients and its just the fruit and then some absorbic (sp?) acid to keep it fresh and then it's basically canned which is how I figure it has a long shelf life.

Quoting mommathea:

Actually package regular baby food is worse than eating regular non-organic food. The food is in a higher concentration, and often has fillers in it to make it thicker and cheaper.

You can either not cash it in, or donate the jarred food to a family shelter or food pantry.

i feed my babies real food, soft pieces of fruit and veggies, and meat.

tansyflower
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

i donate mine....my kids wouldnt eat that crap if you paid them!  my kids started eating solid food when they were ready.  my first was 10 months old and my second was 9 months old before food ever touched their lips and by then it was real chunks of food that we all ate for dinner and not some weird pureed stuff.  plus i just read an atricle that said that one jar of toddler baby food has as much sodium in it as 2 large mc donald french fries!  bleh :(

2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Wow. The gerber one I have says no added fillers salt or sugar. Did they change things or is that a lie? I take no issue with purees. I like to purée mangos for my dd, she loves them! But I also give her little chunks of food to taste. Also I have tasted some of the jarred stuff and if it really has that much added salt they sure hide it well because some of it is sooooo bland.

Quoting tansyflower:

i donate mine....my kids wouldnt eat that crap if you paid them!  my kids started eating solid food when they were ready.  my first was 10 months old and my second was 9 months old before food ever touched their lips and by then it was real chunks of food that we all ate for dinner and not some weird pureed stuff.  plus i just read an atricle that said that one jar of toddler baby food has as much sodium in it as 2 large mc donald french fries!  bleh :(

sj3starz
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Personally, I'd make my babyfood and freeze it. In the morning I'd take out a few cubes and let it thaw. I also made sure to do veggies first so that she wouldn't get hooked on the sweetness of fruits. She now loves to eat veggies (she's 14 m/o). She would walk around the house with a bowl of green beans or steamed carrot sticks as a snack rather than pretzels or any other carb type food.

The only time I would do canned/pouches is when I would be out of the house all day and wanted to be able to toss the containers instead of carry them around.

mommathea
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM

If it is under a cetain % they don't have to list it.

Quoting 2forKaty:

Wow. The gerber one I have says no added fillers salt or sugar. Did they change things or is that a lie? I take no issue with purees. I like to purée mangos for my dd, she loves them! But I also give her little chunks of food to taste. Also I have tasted some of the jarred stuff and if it really has that much added salt they sure hide it well because some of it is sooooo bland.

Quoting tansyflower:

2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM
That was my original plan but now I qualify for WIC and they give me so much baby food.....but I am trying to find a place to donate it and we will just use some of we are out or something.

Quoting sj3starz:

Personally, I'd make my babyfood and freeze it. In the morning I'd take out a few cubes and let it thaw. I also made sure to do veggies first so that she wouldn't get hooked on the sweetness of fruits. She now loves to eat veggies (she's 14 m/o). She would walk around the house with a bowl of green beans or steamed carrot sticks as a snack rather than pretzels or any other carb type food.

The only time I would do canned/pouches is when I would be out of the house all day and wanted to be able to toss the containers instead of carry them around.

2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Oh I missed where she said toddler food. I can totally believe that garbage has a ton of salt! Nasty nasty.

Quoting mommathea:

If it is under a cetain % they don't have to list it.

Quoting 2forKaty:

Quoting tansyflower:

amerslynn
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:47 PM
See if you can find a store that allows you to get the organic baby food on wic. When my sister got it, she would go to Dillon's (Kroger) bacause you could get the organic kind on wic there.
2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Good to know! I will try to get organic stuff at Meijer tomorrow when I go. My checks say any brand and makes no note that it excludes organic except in regards to the single grain cereal so Walmart might just not have updated their system. I know it used to be beech but only that WIC would give you but my checks say that that ended at the end of 2012.

Quoting amerslynn:

See if you can find a store that allows you to get the organic baby food on wic. When my sister got it, she would go to Dillon's (Kroger) bacause you could get the organic kind on wic there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)