Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
So I get WIC and they give me TONS of baby food jars.....of course it isn't the nice organic kind, just beech nut or gerber. Is it bad for my baby? I had planned on making most if my baby food and then of I wanted something easy I was going to buy the organic stuff in the squeezey pouches. I feel like I should use what WIC gives me but at the same time if it isn't good I will just not use those checks or donate the jars and pay for the good stuff.
What would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Bummer, when we were on WIC we were able to get the store brand organic (when it wasn't sold out).

I donated most of it to our local food pantry.

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I also took some of the fruits and mixed them with breastmilk to make popsicles :)

2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Oooo maybe Meijer has a store brand organic!!!! I will definatley be looking for that!

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Bummer, when we were on WIC we were able to get the store brand organic (when it wasn't sold out).

I donated most of it to our local food pantry.

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I don't do purees.  No cereal either.  I delay solids till 9mo.  Then we do occasional finger food or mashed things.  Avocados, peas, black beans, cooked carrots etc.  Here is a link on the breastfeed baby and solids http://kellymom.com/category/nutrition/starting-solids/

2forKaty
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Thanks! I didn't start any purees until 8 months and then it was homemade from fresh I greedy ants and not often. Now I offer some if her foods and some purees but no more than once a day for purees. Black beans are my next plan for finger foods. Do you do dried or canned? And do you just hear them up on the stove?

Quoting Lynette:

I don't do purees.  No cereal either.  I delay solids till 9mo.  Then we do occasional finger food or mashed things.  Avocados, peas, black beans, cooked carrots etc.  Here is a link on the breastfeed baby and solids http://kellymom.com/category/nutrition/starting-solids/

sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM

That was one of the things that bothered me about WIC, especially because we did baby led solids. We ended up not qualifying anyway, but if we did, I would have donated all the jarred food.

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

This, except my little ones began solids around twelve months. I would not even bother with wic.. just let baby eat what the family eats, look into baby led solids. 

Quoting Lynette: I don't do purees.  No cereal either.  I delay solids till 9mo.  Then we do occasional finger food or mashed things.  Avocados, peas, black beans, cooked carrots etc.  Here is a link on the breastfeed baby and solids http://kellymom.com/category/nutrition/starting-solids/

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:48 AM

I have done both but prefer to make them from dry to avoid B P A cans and any added salt.  Here is a handy way to have can convince without the cans http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/cooking-dried-beans-in-crockpot.html?m=1.  I heat them up a bit on the stove.

Quoting 2forKaty:

Thanks! I didn't start any purees until 8 months and then it was homemade from fresh I greedy ants and not often. Now I offer some if her foods and some purees but no more than once a day for purees. Black beans are my next plan for finger foods. Do you do dried or canned? And do you just hear them up on the stove?

Quoting Lynette:

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Yep I'm not real consistent before 12mo.  The 9mo is the earliest i will offer anything.  It's more a sensory experience with fingers and mess than eating.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

This, except my little ones began solids around twelve months. I would not even bother with wic.. just let baby eat what the family eats, look into baby led solids. 

Quoting Lynette: I don't do purees.  No cereal either.  I delay solids till 9mo.  Then we do occasional finger food or mashed things.  Avocados, peas, black beans, cooked carrots etc.  Here is a link on the breastfeed baby and solids http://kellymom.com/category/nutrition/starting-solids/

haleykj
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:11 AM
I still give the pouches to my 16 month old. They r treats for her tho like cady or something. They taste like candy I LOVE them. I made my own food and that was great. Especially bc I eat like shit so I didn't want to jut give her what I was eating.

Quoting 2forKaty:

I just like the pouches because they have the coolest flavors lol. I squeeze them into a bowl and spoon it in haha. I just feel like I should use the WIC stuff if I'm going to do purees because its free but if it is harmful health wise then I don't want to do it kwim?

Quoting larissalarie:

It's not "bad" for your baby, and organic stuff in pouches really wouldn't be any better (actually I think teaching baby to drink their solids is even worse), it's all processed and packaged so it can sit on a shelf and not spoil for years.

What I would do (and have!) is just feed my baby whatever I'm eating, there's never a need for purees if baby is really old enough for solids :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)