Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Worried :/

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 12 Replies

I plan to have a natural birth, Im just worried that since Ill be in a military hospital where they have no tubs and I might have to go there sooner than I want to (Id rather do most of labor at home), because its half an hour away and we live right outside of dc so it might be during rush hour..

But the main thing I worry about is the hospital not letting me make most of the decisions for me and my baby, Ive been talking to moms now and then and Ive met a few that where the doctors let the labor go too long and the baby ended up without oxygen for a few minutes, or the doctors didnt check to see if there is enough amniotic fluid before (which I heard can cause problems)..just so many things that turned out not good..

Should I be worried?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Make sure you have a birth plan and people there to help you enforce it.
I would also talk to your dr about your concerns. If anything hire a doula. She can help you through your labor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I had a wonderful natural delivery in a military hospital last year. My OB was very supportive, as was the nursing staff. I would recommend a detailed birth plan and go over it with your provider at about 34 weeks. Make sure a copy gets into your chart. I live about 30 minutes from the hospital and have very fast labors (my last was about 90min). My plan was to head down to the area in early labor and walk the track on base, but I knew my labor was going to be brisk so I didn't want to wait too long. I would suggest making yourself familiar with the area surrounding the hospital and see if there is a place that would be good to go hang out for a little while before you have to actually go into the hospital. In my experience though (and I realize that not everyone has had the same experience), military doctors are more likely to not try and fit you into their schedule but let you go on you and baby's schedule. They don't get paid more for a c-section, they have regular shifts so they are there whether your baby comes or not, when their shift is up they just go home and a different OB or midwife will deliver, so it isn't like there is some "incentive" for them to rush your labor. 

kiki2382
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Yes this. A good doula can make such a difference!

Quoting somuchlove4U:

Make sure you have a birth plan and people there to help you enforce it.

I would also talk to your dr about your concerns. If anything hire a doula. She can help you through your labor.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this

WHen you go to the hosptal DONT check in til contractions are cloe..walk around.go to nearby store, walk neighborhood etc...dont check IN til closer to delivery, sure not as comfy as home but it works.

Learn to say NO, leanr to ask WHY, learn to say do you have proof of that?

Baby gets oxygen through the cord, baby cant go without oxygen unless cord is cut or placenta abrupts...guess if cord had a true knot it could happen too, but long labors dont cause those things.  Fluid levels vary...you can increase fluid levels by staying hydrated.

Sounds like you need to really understand about labor and not worry about the scare tactics.  Really research what is worrying you the most all the choices they could make with false info/without your consent and make a binder for yourself.  My friend printed and bound everything and every excuse/fasle info that was given she could pull it out and go thats not accurate according to this study or that study.

Doctors work for YOU, YOU are the parent YOU make the choices

Kadawn
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Thank you everyone! I am definitely taking all this this into consideration!! And was also very

reassuring and informative thanks!! :)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Wait at home as long as you feel safe. Also look into a doula.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep this.

Hire a doula!

Have you considered an out-of-hospital birth at home or freestanding birth center?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Baby gets oxygen through the cord, baby cant go without oxygen unless cord is cut or placenta abrupts...guess if cord had a true knot it could happen too, but long labors dont cause those things. 

Kadawn
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I have considered a home birth but my husband is ABSOLUTELY not comfortable with it! We also live in an apartment building so if it gets loud for any reason..

I am definitely looking into a doula! I am not sure my insurance through tricare would cover a free standing birth center though. I will look into that as well :)

vanityrayne
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I gave natural birth in a military hospital:) no biggie. Just labor as much as u want at home and then when you are ready to check in call the OB saying you are on your way and that you are aiming for all natural. :)
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Can't you change hospital or have a homebirth?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)