Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

keeping my kids away? shedding question.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM
  • 10 Replies

so i watch my niece full time for my sister.  she is a teacher and feels like she is at high risk for exposing her dd to stuff so she is fully vaxed on schedule at 18 months.  my kids are not.  i have heard about shedding, but my question is if most of these diseases are not life threatening to begin with then why do i need to worry about shedding affecting my kids?  i guess i dont understand why exposure from shedding is any worse than exposure of another kind.  my kids have never gotten sick from her dd after shots.  should i be keeping them apart or something?

BTW my kids are crazy healthy with no autoimmune suppression.  thanks in advance!

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AimeeE
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I found this: Hope it helps you. :) To me...It's not something that I would personally worry about.

Viral Shedding and Live Vaccines

Viral shedding, in which someone becomes contagious and can pass a virus to someone else, is sometimes a concern when parents think about live vaccines.

Fortunately, viral shedding is not usually a problem because:

• the MMR vaccine doesn't cause shedding
  • the chicken pox vaccine can rarely cause shedding if a child develops a vesicular rash after getting vaccinated, but can be avoided by avoiding direct contact with the rash
  • the rotavirus vaccine only causes shedding in stool, so can be avoided with routine hygiene techniques, such as good hand washing, and if immunocompromised people avoid diaper changes, etc., for at least a week after a child gets a rotavirus vaccine
  • transmission of the live, nasal spray flu vaccine has not been found in several settings, including people with HIV infection, children getting chemotherapy, and immunocompromised people in health-care settings

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/immunizations/a/live-vaccines.htm

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:30 AM
I don't worry about it. There's no point, even if my kids weren't healthy, there's no way to control who they are around all the time and know what vaccines people around us have gotten. Germs are everywhere and I think it's silly to fear them.
Keeping them healthy is what keeps them healthy- not keeping them quarantined.
If you feel the need to boost immunity you can put some tto on feet and put socks on. But really, if your kids are healthy, there's no reason to worry about it as long as you use common sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Depends on the vaccines for me.  I will not alow someone who had a live flu vaccine around my kids, and I try to keep people away from my kiddos when they got the rotavirus vaccine

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I would worry about those too with my kids but my kids have weaker immune systems

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Depends on the vaccines for me.  I will not alow someone who had a live flu vaccine around my kids, and I try to keep people away from my kiddos when they got the rotavirus vaccine

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM

she doesnt even know which ones she is getting (which i find really weird) so i dont know if she is refusing any of the vaxes or not.

Quoting jconney80:

I would worry about those too with my kids but my kids have weaker immune systems

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

tansyflower
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM

i have never worried about it either.  i figured how am i to know all the people getting vaxed?  plus to be honest since i dont vax i dont know much about shedding at all and what a live virus and whats not a live virus O.o

Quoting jellyphish:

I don't worry about it. There's no point, even if my kids weren't healthy, there's no way to control who they are around all the time and know what vaccines people around us have gotten. Germs are everywhere and I think it's silly to fear them.
Keeping them healthy is what keeps them healthy- not keeping them quarantined.
If you feel the need to boost immunity you can put some tto on feet and put socks on. But really, if your kids are healthy, there's no reason to worry about it as long as you use common sense.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Quoting AimeeE:

I found this: Hope it helps you. :) To me...It's not something that I would personally worry about.

Viral Shedding and Live Vaccines

Viral shedding, in which someone becomes contagious and can pass a virus to someone else, is sometimes a concern when parents think about live vaccines.

Fortunately, viral shedding is not usually a problem because:

• the MMR vaccine doesn't cause shedding

• the chicken pox vaccine can rarely cause shedding if a child develops a vesicular rash after getting vaccinated, but can be avoided by avoiding direct contact with the rash

• the rotavirus vaccine only causes shedding in stool, so can be avoided with routine hygiene techniques, such as good hand washing, and if immunocompromised people avoid diaper changes, etc., for at least a week after a child gets a rotavirus vaccine

• transmission of the live, nasal spray flu vaccine has not been found in several settings, including people with HIV infection, children getting chemotherapy, and immunocompromised people in health-care settings

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/immunizations/a/live-vaccines.htm

Thanks!
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM
That is weird!

Quoting tansyflower:

she doesnt even know which ones she is getting (which i find really weird) so i dont know if she is refusing any of the vaxes or not.

Quoting jconney80:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Quoting jconney80: That is weird!
Quoting tansyflower: she doesnt even know which ones she is getting (which i find really weird) so i dont know if she is refusing any of the vaxes or not.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

peaches_04
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Shes prob just getting everything thats recommended

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting jconney80:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN