Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Planning out hospital timing

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:55 AM
  • 15 Replies

After yesterday's visit wit the ob (midwife had been called away), my decision to labor at home has been much more solidified. (Ob was offering an induction to avoid a big baby- which I'm not concerned about). I was induced at 41.5 weeks last time, and have no desire to go through that again.

So, my plan is to labor at home for as long as possible and make it to the hospital in time to push. The tricky part? Hospital is 30 minutes away, and I don't know how to base my timing based on my last labor due to the induction. I started with arom at 8 am, pitocin at 1pm, epidural (thanks to the pit) at 6pm, and baby was born at 8:48pm. At 5pm I was I still only 5cm, but by the time the epidural was put in I was fully dialated but couldn't feel to push. So I took a nap for an hour to let some of the meds wear off.

any suggestions on timing? Now that I know what transition is like I was thinking of waiting until I got near that point, but I guess I'm scared of not making it in time.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I would never want to labor in a car again.

Check out the area. Are there any parks? 24hr walmarts? You can always walk around in the hospital.

wait until labor is well established, no question that it's the real deal. Drive to the area. Continue laboring, make sure your pre-registered(weeks ahead of time) check in intime to deliver.

Have you considered a home birth?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I have to travel 30 minutes too. I usually wait until I hit transition and then go. Labor, for me at least, slows down in the car and then picks up once I am there. Last baby I timed perfectly. I was there long enough to have the tub filled and two contractions later I felt the urge to push.
FunBetty
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I already am registered :). I don't want a home birth- don't think even dh will go for it. Plus with our insurance the whole thing is already paid for. The hospital does have one room with a laboring tub, but unfortunately it wasn't available when ds was born.
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM

It's so hard because every labor can progress so differently. I stayed at home for most of my first labor too and those transition contractions in the 10 min car ride were definitely the worst... not really something I'd want to repeat again.

Is there a friend/relative's house or a hotel closer to the hospital where you could labor?

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I would find somewhere close by to labor comfortably. This is a great question, I know I've wondered the same thing before.
FunBetty
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

My mother in laws house is about 10 min away, but honestly I would be more comfy walking around the hospital than there. Which is a good thought. If labor has slowed when I get to the hospital I can walk around before checking in. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM
That's a good idea!

Quoting FunBetty:

My mother in laws house is about 10 min away, but honestly I would be more comfy walking around the hospital than there. Which is a good thought. If labor has slowed when I get to the hospital I can walk around before checking in. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Id getin the area but not check in
BaileysMom9
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I think you'll probably know when you need to go to the hospital.  In my experience (hospital was a 1hr drive), I knew my labor was progressing quickly, and we left about 2 hrs after my first contraction.  It was a terrible drive, but we made it to the hospital with about 45 min to spare before baby was in my arms.  Total labor was 3 1/2 hrs.  If you're a 1/2 hr away, you'll probably make it within 15-20 min (trust me, my hubby made the drive in 40 min lol).  When your contractions feel like they are INTENSE, but bearable, head for the car ;)  Just my opinion though.  I liked only being at the hospital for the very end.  ONLY downside is they wanted me hooked up to the monitor and in the bed to "make sure everything was okay".  That part made me mad.  This time, I plan on telling them to shove it lol.

FunBetty
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, the 30 min is a "hit every light with a few minutes cushion time" estimate. :) good point re: instinct. I have a feeling I will be calmer than dh. This is kid #3 for him, and first one with no induction (one from his previous marriage). I have no doubt he will be flooring it to the hospital! Lol.

Quoting BaileysMom9:

I think you'll probably know when you need to go to the hospital.  In my experience (hospital was a 1hr drive), I knew my labor was progressing quickly, and we left about 2 hrs after my first contraction.  It was a terrible drive, but we made it to the hospital with about 45 min to spare before baby was in my arms.  Total labor was 3 1/2 hrs.  If you're a 1/2 hr away, you'll probably make it within 15-20 min (trust me, my hubby made the drive in 40 min lol).  When your contractions feel like they are INTENSE, but bearable, head for the car ;)  Just my opinion though.  I liked only being at the hospital for the very end.  ONLY downside is they wanted me hooked up to the monitor and in the bed to "make sure everything was okay".  That part made me mad.  This time, I plan on telling them to shove it lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)