Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What would you do (pregnancy/birth)? (kinda long)

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 35 Replies

A little back story... I am 15 wks with baby #4.  I've had 3 previous hospital births, two with CNM's, and one completely natural, unmedicated birth.  I am planning another natural birth with this baby.  I have never had any pregnancy/birth complications. 

We are living in a new area now, and there are NO midwives anywhere within 2 hrs, so I am stuck with an OB... and OB that I am not very fond of, to make it worse.  This is not my 1st rodeo, and I'm frustrated by the appts.  Feeling like they are a complete waste of time and money, since I already know what to expect, and the dr spends maybe 5 min per appt with me (last one was 2 min tops... no joke).  On top of that, my insurance is only covering a tiny portion, which will put me around $3200 out of pocket for the prenatal care + delivery/hospital stay. 

I have been seriously considering doing the rest of my pregnancy unassisted and monitoring myself at home.  I will be going for my 20 wk anatomy/gender scan, but thinking of calling it quits after that.  I still plan on doing a hospital birth because my husband really isn't on board with an unassisted homebirth and I'm GBS+. 

Does this seem crazy, or a reasonable thing to do given my situation.  I'd love to just go completely unassisted, but not sure I have it in me.  I like having that extra support/reassurance at the very end. 

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlelambe2
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

GBS test result expire after 5 weeks, so how do you know you'll be GBS positive on delivery? 20w scan is not necessary unless you're at risk for certain things. Can you change OBs? How about a family doc? Your choice in health care provider is very important. I wouldn't do an unassisted home birth unless both you and your husband are on board. 

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
I only had about half as many ob appointments as I was supposed to with my second. I did it the way my doctor recommended with my first, but it seemed pointless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileysMom9
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Well, I was GBS+ w/my last pregnancy as well.  This one they found it in my urine early on.  I am not one for antibiotics, and with my last I showed up to the hospital so late they only had time for half a bag of antibiotics, which was a plus.  I'd rather not have them at all, but not sure the hospital will even "allow" that. 

As for switching OB's... there is one other office in town, but all male providers and I do not want a male OB.  And regardless, I still feel like the appts are a waste of time.  And no, I would not do a UC if either of us were not completely and 100% on board and dedicated to it. 

Quoting littlelambe2:

GBS test result expire after 5 weeks, so how do you know you'll be GBS positive on delivery? 20w scan is not necessary unless you're at risk for certain things. Can you change OBs? How about a family doc? Your choice in health care provider is very important. I wouldn't do an unassisted home birth unless both you and your husband are on board. 

BaileysMom9
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM

How did that go over with your OB?  Did they give you a hard time or were they understanding?  I'm just worried mine is going to be a huge headache if I only go when I want. 

Quoting polkaspots:

I only had about half as many ob appointments as I was supposed to with my second. I did it the way my doctor recommended with my first, but it seemed pointless.

BaileysMom9
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I know the 20wk ultrasound isn't necessary, and I'm honestly not worried about any problems.  But my husband and I both want to see baby, and find out the gender. 

Quoting littlelambe2:

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM
He didn't really get mad, he just told me I had to do the more freuquent appointments towards the end because we had an estimated due date of anywhere between February 2nd and the 23rd.

Quoting BaileysMom9:

How did that go over with your OB?  Did they give you a hard time or were they understanding?  I'm just worried mine is going to be a huge headache if I only go when I want. 

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileysMom9
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Hmmm... well hopefully I will get lucky and my OB office will be that understanding.  I have a very clear EDD though, so I feel like I might just want to go once or twice toward the end to make sure everything is kosher :)  All my babies have been born within a week of the EDD, so not too concerned.

Quoting polkaspots:

He didn't really get mad, he just told me I had to do the more freuquent appointments towards the end because we had an estimated due date of anywhere between February 2nd and the 23rd.

Quoting BaileysMom9:

Quoting polkaspots:

doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM

How do you know you will be gbs+ at birth?  And why not clean-up prenatally so that is one less thing to think about?    ;-)
How about using doulas?

doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM

You can just avoid it & all unnecessary exposure.   ;-)

Quoting BaileysMom9:

I know the 20wk ultrasound isn't necessary, and I'm honestly not worried about any problems.  But my husband and I both want to see baby, and find out the gender. 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I was also considering a UC birth this time around. DH is not comfortable, and I dont' want to put him in that positions, so we are looking for a midwife, I have no peace about a hospital birth, especially after my first hospital experience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)