Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Moby wrap: yay or nay?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM
  • 24 Replies

I've been wanting to get one sooooooo bad, but I don't want to spend the money if they aren't worth it. I have a carrier now, but its HELL on my back already and my daughter is only 3 months and weighs about 12 pounds. It's a backpack style, but worn in front. I've read reviews, but I figured I would come and ask here before splurging. Also, any suggestions are welcome. Not sure if body type matters, but I'm 5'3", weigh about 128, and my chest is on the large side.

thanks Ladies!

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tansyflower
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

i say nay....its sort of a hassel to wrap (especially in a parking lot in the middle of winter lol) and because the material is stretchy they max out at 15 pounds (i think thats the weight) before the wrap doesnt hold very well and you have to constantly reposition them.  personally i found my ring sling to be the most versatile at this point and i like it much better!

ETA: my ring sling worked great for my newborn (especially breastfeeding) and i still use it now on my 27 pound baby :)

VintageWife
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I'm not a sling kind of person. I have a Sleepywrap and a Boba.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Maybe you can find one cheap some where like on craigslist.  I loved mine but I'm cheap so I got mine from a friend for a quarter of the price.

audreesmama
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I say nay also. I have a Maya wrap I bought new with tags at a consignment store for $20. I can still wear my 4 1/2 year old dd in it, and it adjusts so I can wear 5 mo ds too. Much better investment IMO and it doesn't kill my back like the moby did
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
twinmom86
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I got my moby wrap at a consignment shop for hslf the price. I haven't used it yet because my two weekold dd is under the 8 lb. minimum still. It kind of seems like it will be a pain to use but it seems like it will be more comfortable for my dd. I also have a Bjorn carrier from my first dd and a sling carrier that I got for free from my sister. I figure I'll try them all and use whichever is the most convenient.
melindabelcher
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Nay!
I'm not a fan of moby wraps. They max out 15-20lbs. You can only really use them in front carries. If I had the spare money I wouldn't mind getting it for the snuggly nb period
Ring sling I love and is comparably priced.
The boba, a woven wrap are higher priced but more versatile and longer lasting.
cpflum08
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
A Beco or Ergo might be good, also a woven wrap, you can do a back carry with a woven wrap. I wouldn't buy a moby at 3 months they really only work well for the first 4-5 months.
KRYSTALK1013
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Wow! Thanks Ladies! I didn't realize the Moby's weight limit was so small. What are some brands of ring slings and woven wraps you'd recommend? I'm going to check out the Boba. 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Nay. If your baxk hurts and you dont have a newborn at the momeb. Suggest the ergo.
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I love the moby wrap personally but at this point I would suggest something else. It's really better for a brand new baby and not very comfortable after about 15 lbs.

Boba is great. A mei tai is a similar carrier that you might like too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN