Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Breastfeeding Help

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 7 Replies

I work 4 days a week and pump at work. My 7 month old has gotten used to the bottles with the milk coming out immediately. When I nurse him now he is very inpatient about my milk dropping and is pulling on my nipples and hurting me. That makes it even longer for my milk to drop. I don't want him to wean himself because of this. I nursed my last baby for 23 months and plan on doing the same this time. Has anyone had this happen. Is there anything I can do to help this. I have no problems with let down when I pump. Thanks everyone.

Tracy

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM
How much is he getting in the bottles? Is the person watching him using slow flow nipples, feeding him in an upright position, burping atleast every ounce? Have you tried switching from bottles to sippy cup while gone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Make sure using slow flow bottles, no more than three ounces a bottle, no more than one ounce an hour. Baby should be fed bottles upright not laying down and burped after each ounce. It tends to be how baby is fed thats the issue. Make sure to refuse bottles when home and keep offering. No solids unless baby nurses first!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
isaacsmommy68
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM

We do use slow flow. He takes 2-3 4oz bottles when I am gone. Usually gone 9 hours. He dosent eat too much solids yet. Never bottles when I am home. I have tried sippy cups, he just plays with them. I dont want to waste the milk.

GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM

DS would go through bouts of something similar, and his attention would wander while he was nursing.  I had to nurse my LO in a dark room, removed from all "stimulus," in order to keep him on task...  Might be worth a try for you!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Try three ounce bottles instead of four...leave same general number of ounces just make the feeds smaller. Tell caregiver paced feeds
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I would not let him have more then 9 ounces when you are gone so try 3 bottles of 3 ounces and make sure they tip the bottle to slow down the flow.  Have them burp or try to after each ounce fed since it takes longer for baby to register they are full. 

Also when he hurts you stop the feeding and say no that hurts then wait a few minutes to continue feeding. Just be patient and out stubborn him now. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Is there a different bottle that he can use to make him work harder for the milk?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN