Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Homemade almond milk?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 23 Replies

My son drinks almond milk and I thought it would better for him and handy if I could do it at home. The problem im having is finding almonds that are a decent price. 

Any ideas of where I could buy them in bulk at a great price? Less than $6 a lb?? 

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I get 3 pounds at Sam's for less than $11.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sparklebug86
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM

thats not bad, 

Do you make almond milk? If so, how much does that get you? Ive read that 1 lb gets 1/2 a gallon

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I have never found it to be cost efficient. You need a great deal of almonds to make almond milk. I tried buying the almonds in bulk at stores like Costco, at the local farmers market, and I have purchased a 1/2 palet from the co-op. Buying the half gallon 365 almond milk is always significantly cheaper, not to mention easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Costco sells 3 lbs for $11.

Also check vitacost.com and nuts.com.

YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I did for awhile. My son had a sensitivity to dairy which he has now outgrown so I made his milk. Much cheaper. I made it thinner than the store bought milk because my son liked it better that way. I used 1c almonds to 4-5c water.

Quoting sparklebug86:

thats not bad, 

Do you make almond milk? If so, how much does that get you? Ive read that 1 lb gets 1/2 a gallon

YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM
I also dehydrated the almonds after I was done using them and made almond flour (my son was also GF for a few years).

Quoting sparklebug86:

thats not bad, 

sparklebug86
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

ok thats a good idea, it is kinda thick

Do you use cheesecloth and a blender? Or the juicer method?

Quoting YzmaRocks:

I did for awhile. My son had a sensitivity to dairy which he has now outgrown so I made his milk. Much cheaper. I made it thinner than the store bought milk because my son liked it better that way. I used 1c almonds to 4-5c water.

Quoting sparklebug86:

thats not bad, 

CafeMom Tickers

sparklebug86
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM

very good idea!

Quoting YzmaRocks:

I also dehydrated the almonds after I was done using them and made almond flour (my son was also GF for a few years).

Quoting sparklebug86:

thats not bad, 

CafeMom Tickers

YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM
I soaked the almonds overnight (or sprouted them - this makes them sweeter and even healthier). Then I popped them in the blender and strained them using my metal strainer. Cheesecloth would work too.

Quoting sparklebug86:

ok thats a good idea, it is kinda thick

Do you use cheesecloth and a blender? Or the juicer method?

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Quoting sparklebug86:

thats not bad, 

YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I am all about cost effectiveness, lol.

Quoting sparklebug86:

very good idea!

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Quoting sparklebug86:

thats not bad, 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)