Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

CDing for two years and people are still trying to talk me out of it!

Posted by   + Show Post

Several people are shocked that I'm going to "attempt" to cloth diaper two kids once our baby comes in about a month. A few people have offered to buy disposables so that I "don't have to worry about cloth"... because, you know, it's so hard to throw in a load of laundry.

I appreciate their good intentions, but I find it funny that so many people are so opposed to the whole cloth idea. Either way, I still have to change twice as many diapers, regardless of what it's made of.

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
rachelrothchild
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM

My mother makes comments all the time-it's so much work, it's a hassle, you're spending too much money on water, don't you have enough diapers yet?  It's annoying.  Then she backs away and says "well, I cloth diapered you guys while I was home".  I'm still home, so what is the problem?  She is a walking contradiction.

I also love the comments about how my kids are too close together.  Yes, parents who had children 18-months apart-please explain to me how you did it and my husband and I aren't going to be able to.  "Your mother had help.  Things are different now."  How?

BabyFruit Ticker

Kyonarai
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM
They might not advertise it, but my daughter's overnight cloth dipe can go 12 hours, because thats how long she sleeps overnight. She will literally sleep from 11pm to 11am, possibly only waking once to eat. I use one flip organic insert inside of a stay dry insert sock under a flip cover. She'ls 13 months old and not a heavy wetter.The sad thing is, I have no idea why she sleeps so much, because she takes two naps during the day also. During the day, we change every three hours.

And yeah, I've had plenty of people look at me crazy for CDing, but I really don't care. I even had one lady at a fabric store tell me, after I said "We've been CDing for a year and love it", that "you might prefer it, but you don't love it." I had to bite my tongue to keep from replying, "heh, you havn't seen me when I've just got fluffy mail. Or when payday comes around and I'm eyeing all the covers I don't yet own. I have 23 diaper covers and 10 pocket shells for one baby, lady. Don't tell me I don't love cloth diapering!" I'm rather hopelessly obsessed, honestly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Just wait till it's your third! I breastfeed DD, had 2 VBACs, and cloth diapered all three. But when I was pregnant with her, people kept trying to talk me out of all three. "If it ain't broke..." And funny how people want to compliment my parenting in one breath and then try to change my mind about somethinng in the next.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM
I think someone said this to me too before my youngest was born lol. I don't see why its any more difficult! They all get washed together lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM
LOL! I know what you mean. I do love cloth diapering! It's so stinking cute!

Quoting Kyonarai:

They might not advertise it, but my daughter's overnight cloth dipe can go 12 hours, because thats how long she sleeps overnight. She will literally sleep from 11pm to 11am, possibly only waking once to eat. I use one flip organic insert inside of a stay dry insert sock under a flip cover. She'ls 13 months old and not a heavy wetter.The sad thing is, I have no idea why she sleeps so much, because she takes two naps during the day also. During the day, we change every three hours.

And yeah, I've had plenty of people look at me crazy for CDing, but I really don't care. I even had one lady at a fabric store tell me, after I said "We've been CDing for a year and love it", that "you might prefer it, but you don't love it." I had to bite my tongue to keep from replying, "heh, you havn't seen me when I've just got fluffy mail. Or when payday comes around and I'm eyeing all the covers I don't yet own. I have 23 diaper covers and 10 pocket shells for one baby, lady. Don't tell me I don't love cloth diapering!" I'm rather hopelessly obsessed, honestly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Ikr! My mil will randomly buy my sposies as a "treat" bc she thinks the only reason i cloth is i cant afford sposies but am too embarassed to tell anyone ;(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Oh course they think it's more work if they have never done it.  Glad it works for you!

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

:D

Rlambert6002
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Yeah, people often have opinions about things that don't even remotely concern them. I currently have 2 in cloth. Before the birth of my youngest 6 months ago I had a relative comment on my FB after I posted a link about cd'ing. She said she had tried cd'ing as well until she gave birth and reality set in??? She lives in another state so I don't think she realized I already had one in cloth so I was well familiar with cd'ing. Additionally, I've had 9 kids so I think I'm pretty in touch with reality when it comes to diapering.....I've probably changed diapers more times than she has changed her socks! lol. As far as laundry, it's an additional 3-4 loads a week? Big Deal!

mrskathleen
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM

well -want my opinion--in the sixties we hsd no paper diapers and we seem to get alonf just fine! had the diaper pail and soaked the diapers. then threw those diapers in the washing machine w/Ivory and hot water

and washed themw/ a little downey WALLA THREW THEM IN THE DRIER iIS THAT SO HARD? PAPER DIAPERS ARE EXPENSIVE TRY IT AND TAKE THE MONEY U SAVE AND BUY A NICE DRESS OR  PAIR OF EARRINGS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)