Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

my son is throwing fits!!

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM
  • 11 Replies
He is 9 months old, almost 10 and he has started throwing fits.
Take something out of his hands it's screaming crying and yelling. Pick him up when he was playing and he does all the above and even kicks!
I don't know what to do?! Do I give him my phone back because he is crying or do I let him cry?
Help so I don't raise a stinker butt, but I don't want to be hard on him either.
Ps I don't believe in cio.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I always ignored fits. Pretended like they weren't throwing them. They learned that throwing fits got them nowhere, so they eventually stopped. It's a normal phase.

I would just say something like we don't play with mommy's phone, here's your phone to play with. If a he/she threw a fit, I just said we'll talk when you calm down and I just went about my business. (even if they were not old enough to talk)
keep stuff he shouldn't have out of his reach also helps LOL.

There's a big, big difference between CIO and ignoring a child throwing a fit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommathea
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't give it back, and don't ignore it. Simply tell them no fussing, then redirect them with something they can have.  At that age redirecting is about the best thing you can do.

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I ignore my 11 month old's fits.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Redirect if possible, ignore if that doesn't work. Not giving in to a temper tantrum and CIO are two very different things.
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Yeah, I redirect, too. Babies are easily distracted!

I'll usually say something like, "No, we can't eat the dog's food," and she cries and throws her body back when I pick her up. I sit down in the living room with a book and start reading, and she's over it and climbing in my lap shortly after.

Quoting mommathea:

Don't give it back, and don't ignore it. Simply tell them no fussing, then redirect them with something they can have.  At that age redirecting is about the best thing you can do.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I always try to talk my LO through his fits.  Maybe something like:  "I can see that you really wanted to play with mama's phone, but it's not a toy. Mama needs it to talk to daddy and grandma on, and if it gets broken, we won't be able to talk to them.  Let's put the phone in mama's purse and then find a TOY that you CAN play with...." 

Good luck!  It's hard work!

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I always try redirecting him or "trading" with him first but sometimes it doesn't work but I feel so guilty making him upset.
I will remind my self it isn't the same next time and just pretend like he isn't throwing a fit.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Redirect if possible, ignore if that doesn't work. Not giving in to a temper tantrum and CIO are two very different things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sparklebug86
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM

hmmm, my son didnt start that until 15 months but noticed it with EVERYTHING! He became particular about the fabrics on his body, screamed during bathtime, became very picky. He was actually just diagnosed with autism.

at 10 months they dont really know how to be a brat so there might be something else going on, like an irritant. Around 6 months my son loved to have something in his hand, he still does. Perhaps try to give him a little blankie, stuffed animal?

nicole2884
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM

i would talk it out an explain to him whats going, on, ya he may not grasp it but its better than crying, or give him warnings, he is still young for it but 

or if you have to take something away like your phone replace it with a different toy

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)