Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

breastfed babies and vitamin d drops

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM
  • 20 Replies

A family memeber just put on facebook a pic of their baby taking his first medicine...and said its just vitamins since hes getting only breastmilk now. I was like WHAT?! and googled about it and the first sight i found said vitamin d drops are recommended for babies who are breastfed adn get less than 32 ounces of formula a day!!! Seriously they are trying to say formula i better than breastmilk? what is this world coming? how can a man made product be healthier for our little ones then the milk our body is naturaly making specifically for them?

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, nobody is saying formula is better by stating the fact that formula is fortified with vitamin d along with all the other nutrients it's deficient in.

Research IS showing that after 6 months, breastfed babies could use a vit d supplement, since the fact is that breastmilk doesn't contain much. Again, facts are nothing to become upset about.

The logical reason behind this is that people have historically gotten their vitamin d from sunshine, so it didn't need to be in our breastmilk. Again, not an insult to breastmilk or natures design.
Now things have changed. We stay inside all day. When we do go out we cover baby up or slather in sunscreen...or both. Babies, kids, adults- few of us are getting enough vitamin d from the sun anymore, so supplements are being recommended.

It's no biggie either way, give a supplement don't give a supplement. Definitely not worth being upset :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytotwonow
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

depending on where you live its recommend. we live in upstate ny and give it to ds sometimes. i am not great about it, he gets plenty of sun light. They dont need a multi vit only Vit D because it does not pass through bm. I dont think it hurts to be on the safe side. jmo 

I'm a nursing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, baby wearing mommy of two beautiful boys!

JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:34 PM

im not upset I just think its crazy and will not be giving extra vitamins to mine

Quoting larissalarie:

Lol, nobody is saying formula is better by stating the fact that formula is fortified with vitamin d along with all the other nutrients it's deficient in.

Research IS showing that after 6 months, breastfed babies could use a vit d supplement, since the fact is that breastmilk doesn't contain much. Again, facts are nothing to become upset about.

The logical reason behind this is that people have historically gotten their vitamin d from sunshine, so it didn't need to be in our breastmilk. Again, not an insult to breastmilk or natures design.
Now things have changed. We stay inside all day. When we do go out we cover baby up or slather in sunscreen...or both. Babies, kids, adults- few of us are getting enough vitamin d from the sun anymore, so supplements are being recommended.

It's no biggie either way, give a supplement don't give a supplement. Definitely not worth being upset :-)

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

mommytotwonow
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM

you can get just the D

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

im not upset I just think its crazy and will not be giving extra vitamins to mine

Quoting larissalarie:

I'm a nursing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, baby wearing mommy of two beautiful boys!

mommytotwonow
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM

love your sn by the way. my little sisters name is joclynn. i like how you spelled it.

JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:48 PM

i dont think extra vitamin d is necessary

Quoting mommytotwonow:

you can get just the D

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting larissalarie:

JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Quoting mommytotwonow:

love your sn by the way. my little sisters name is joclynn. i like how you spelled it.

mommytotwonow
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM

why? where do you live? have you has your level checked? they have shown mom taking extra does not help baby. we live where there is a high rate of rickets.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting mommytotwonow:

you can get just the D

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting larissalarie:

JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM

i live in ky and have never heard of anyone needing vitamin d supplements untill today

Quoting mommytotwonow:

why? where do you live? have you has your level checked? they have shown mom taking extra does not help baby. we live where there is a high rate of rickets.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting mommytotwonow:

you can get just the D

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting larissalarie:

mommytotwonow
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM

talk to your dr i think its kind of a new thing. i was told there were a few deaths in our area. my son's dr is not the try to scare you into doing it my way type. but at least in the winter months it is worth some more research sense you just heard about it today. good luck

Quoting JocelynsMama1

i live in ky and have never heard of anyone needing vitamin d supplements untill today

Quoting mommytotwonow:

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting mommytotwonow:

you can get just the D

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting larissalarie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)