Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Nursing a toddler and newborn, advice needed

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

So my 17 month old nursed so much today that she refused dinner.

Obviously I knew she was going to be clingy, my first two were also 17 months apart, but I did not nurse my eldest. 

My thought is that she is feeling uncertain right now, and seeing the baby nurse, and her not nursing is bothering her. She is just trying to establish her place and in a few days when it is less new things will go back to normal.

Is that an accurate assessment?

Also, I have a bad habit of not eating enough ( or properly spaced) , and therefore gaining weight, with two nursing I really want to make sure that I am eating well enough and often enough to keep up with everyone and help my body lose some of my baby weight.

Any suggestions on that front are welcome as well! 

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11  Soren~ 1/28/13

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
viasacra18
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Yea I'm still nursing my 22 month old and my almost four month old! My 22 month old is still extra clingy and wanting milk a lot more then before my youngest was born but I'm teaching her that I'm ok with nursing her but that sometimes she has time wait her turn because she only wants it for comfort where as her baby sister needs it for food and she's starting to understand of a little bit more! Good luck and congrats!
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Yep, that's normal. Congrats on the new baby :)

VintageWife
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I had to teach the older one that he would get to nurse, just not demand it.

VintageWife
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Congrats on the baby, btw! Was it a home birth? Just assuming because you posted less than a day after having the baby...lol

mommaoftwo
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM

yes it was a homebirth, 40 hrs of labor, he was posterior and had a true knot in his cord, by delivery he flipped around anterior, but whew! lol

Quoting VintageWife:

Congrats on the baby, btw! Was it a home birth? Just assuming because you posted less than a day after having the baby...lol

Mommy of FIVE!!!

VintageWife
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Oh no! That must have been stressful! Glad it all worked out :) 

Quoting mommaoftwo:

yes it was a homebirth, 40 hrs of labor, he was posterior and had a true knot in his cord, by delivery he flipped around anterior, but whew! lol

Quoting VintageWife:

mommaoftwo
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM

well, we didn't know about the knot until after he was born. But labor kept starting and stopping, I felt so badly "wasting" the midwife's time

Quoting VintageWife:

Oh no! That must have been stressful! Glad it all worked out :) 

Quoting mommaoftwo:

Quoting VintageWife:

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)