Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Purging advice please

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 13 Replies
I am majorly purging our house and would love to hear your advice, words of encouragement and success stories. I am systematically working from room to room (1 room/month) but use my momentum to chizzle away at the huge jobs (closets and toys/children's books) whenever the mood strikes.

My problem is letting go. We are blessed to recieve so many nice, new toys and my kids barely play with them. I feel bad getting rid of them, bad for stashing them "for later" and am too overwhelmed to keep everything. Do you feel guilty getting rid of your young kids things? Also, I'm not going to have a garage sale. The cost/benefit just isn't there for me. I want this stuff out now!!

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope, I don't feel bad at all. It's just stuff. It only has meaning if you let it, otherwise it's an object with no thoughts, feelings, or cares :-)

It's also very good to remind yourself that nobody can appreciate what they have when they're drowning in stuff. Usually the most grateful people in the world are those who have very little, and those that don't appreciate what they have and always want more are those with a huge house, filled with all the latest and greatest, but it's never enough.

On a practical level, most kids just don't play with even half of what they have. When they've got a room full of everything, they forget about most of it and never use it. Keeping toys to a minimum enhances their appreciation and use of what they do have.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wendy2023
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Why dont you give it to goodwill or salvation army its nice to have a lot of toys an luxuries but if you dont need them or use them theres always someone who normally wouldnt b able to afford them otherwise. Gl!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel guilty sometimes because DS gets so many toys from grandparents for Christmas and birthday and we just don't have space to keep them all (or patience to pick them up everyday and keep them organized). But I try to remember that ven when we ask them to do things like contribute to a carseat, zoo membership, swim lessons, etc. and they're the ones who choose to keep giving toys. I hate it when they ask "where's that xxxx that we gave him 6 months ago?" :(

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting wendy2023:

Why dont you give it to goodwill or salvation army its nice to have a lot of toys an luxuries but if you dont need them or use them theres always someone who normally wouldnt b able to afford them otherwise. Gl!

We donate all items to a church that distributed the clothes and toys for free to whoever wants it and to a local women's shelter.
kiki2382
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I'm about to do the same thing at my house. Any kid stuff I'm going to sell in one of my area's seasonal consignment sales and use the $ to save for more important things.
VintageWife
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I'm trying to do the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM
We need to do the same we have too much!
YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I am working on this right now too! It gets easier the more you do it. I had a hard time but then I realized it was't doing my kids any favors by keeping so many toys that they couldn't even enjoy them properly.

I am working on doing this for my kids:

http://www.imperfecthomemaking.com/2011/11/toy-rotation-bins.html?m=1
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I do not feel guilty when purging excess because.. one, I keep what I love, and two, the rest is donated to a charity near and dear to my heart, our local Crisis Pregnancy Center.  :o)

I love organizing.... my favorite method for purging is to create four categories (keep, sell, donate, trash) and once everything is sorted, put the keeps away nicely and take the rest (sell, donate, trash) to where they belong.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

isaacsmommy68
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM

My area has a website called "freecycle". You list things you need or want to get rid of and people will come and get it. I post tons of stuff on there. I hate to throw it away if someone else needs it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN