Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

cosleeping safty

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM
  • 9 Replies

I know most are against co-sleeping but I actually enjoy it. It's been 5 weeks and we all get to sleep through the night thanks to me just being able to nursing while laying down with him

But I want to make sure we are doing it safely. I plan to start moving him to his crib once he's out of his "newborn" stage but for now what are some things we need to do/keep in mind?

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM

What I was told by our HP was to make sure baby is always on the outside of the bed, not between mom and dad. So I always slept in the middle and she would be on the side. 
Only pillow (Small) for you, and a light sheet is what we used, and dressed warmer for bed, so we didn't need a huge blanket. Don't take baby into bed with you if you have any kind of meds you take that make you drowsy.

That's all I can think of right now :) 

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

cosleeping.nd.edu has a bunch of information.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I love co sleeping, glad you do to.

Amycapl
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM

i've been co sleeping with DD since she was a week old and she's now 3 :)  it's my favorite part of the day, crawling into bed with my whole family :)  we had a "snuggle nest" when she was an infant and that worked well for us.

SoKamele
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I love co sleeping too. We just stopped a few months ago.......but DS still climbs into bed with us...early in the morning.

YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM
All three kids end up with us most mornings! I have no idea how we are going to fit them all in once #4 gets here.

Quoting SoKamele:

I love co sleeping too. We just stopped a few months ago.......but DS still climbs into bed with us...early in the morning.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
isaacsmommy68
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I was determined not to co sleep with #2, but here we are at 7 months and he is not going into his crib. He was fine in his bassinet until I went back to work when he was 12 weeks. Now he wants time with mama.I sleep with a button down shirt (opened) and a tank or nursing bra. Easy to nurse and will keep you warm without blanket. I have a light blanket from the waist down. Baby is in a warm sleeper or a sleep sac. I love waking up and seeing his cute little face. I did purchase a side rail for our bed. When he is a little older I will put that up. Good luck!

tansyflower
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM

also consider sidecaring a crib...my nine month old is still in a bassinet next to us because i just KNOW that i dont want him that far away from me...and i dont even breastfeed!  i just love reaching over and resting my hand on his tummy and feeling him breath :)

i cant sidecar a crib because i take sleep medication so that makes me sad.  if i could i would do it in a minute!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I agree this is soooo helpful!

Quoting tansyflower:

also consider sidecaring a crib...my nine month old is still in a bassinet next to us because i just KNOW that i dont want him that far away from me...and i dont even breastfeed!  i just love reaching over and resting my hand on his tummy and feeling him breath :)

i cant sidecar a crib because i take sleep medication so that makes me sad.  if i could i would do it in a minute!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)