Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Chicken Pox

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 22 Replies

I'm pretty sure my 2 year old is breaking out with the chicken pox. She has no fever and they don't seem to be bothering her yet. Right now she has several pimple like spots on her belly and it looks like some are popping out on her back. Anyhow, i'm thinking of running to the store so if it is chicken pox I will be prepared to be holed up at home for awhile. What are things I should get?? I've heard oatmeal baths can be soothing... anymore ideas???? this is my first time dealing with chicken pox besides when i had them and i dont remember that very well! I have a 9 mon. old also. She doesn't have any breakouts yet.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dakota1228
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM

If they are in her mouth then probably.  Also behind the ears and between the toes.  If not then most likely just a rash.  Do you know if she was exposed to the virus?

Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM

That pink stuff....I don't know what it is called but it was my life saver when I was a kid and had it. I should probably research some natural relief methods, but that is the first thing that comes to mind. 
Also, can my kid come play with your kid? LOL 

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Calamine (sp?) lotion!! I remember that and baking soda baths from having it in kindergarten.
Otherwise I'm clueless. My kids are vaxed, so we've never had to deal with it after being exposed thankfully.
Good luck!

Quoting Mommy2justone:

That pink stuff....I don't know what it is called but it was my life saver when I was a kid and had it. I should probably research some natural relief methods, but that is the first thing that comes to mind. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aatmommy
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM

They arn't yet but she just started breaking out... The spots on her belly that came on first are alot bigger now and the spots on her back that are just starting look like tiny pimples. It's very speradic and they seem to get bigger which is making me think chicken pox. I don't know that she was exposed for sure, but after looking at pictures online I'm pretty sure. Do you always get them in your mouth? I don't remember that when I had them?

Quoting Dakota1228:

If they are in her mouth then probably.  Also behind the ears and between the toes.  If not then most likely just a rash.  Do you know if she was exposed to the virus?

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM
we did calamine lotion and oatmeal baths. My son alsi had a fever and they got.it from daddy who had shingles...and of course they were itchy. My kids were 2 1/2 and 4 and the fevef came first for them. Was your 2 yr old exposed?

Quoting larissalarie:

Calamine (sp?) lotion!! I remember that and baking soda baths from having it in kindergarten.

Otherwise I'm clueless. My kids are vaxed, so we've never had to deal with it after being exposed thankfully.

Good luck!

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aatmommy
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! LOL I was thinking of offering to have a chicken pox party for anyone who wanted there kids to get them! It sure would be a lot more fun than sitting at home by ourselves!!! 

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I think ypu can but i never looked in my kids mouths, because i knew they had it.

Quoting aatmommy:

They arn't yet but she just started breaking out... The spots on her belly that came on first are alot bigger now and the spots on her back that are just starting look like tiny pimples. It's very speradic and they seem to get bigger which is making me think chicken pox. I don't know that she was exposed for sure, but after looking at pictures online I'm pretty sure. Do you always get them in your mouth? I don't remember that when I had them?

Quoting Dakota1228:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dakota1228
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I worked for a dermatologist when my oldest DD and DS got them and I remember (14 years ago) him saying to check their mouths and that was where they started first.  Also anywhere that they has folds of skin (legs and such).  He was right  LOL 

Quoting aatmommy:

Quoting Dakota1228:

aatmommy
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Not that I know of for sure... My husbands Grandpa passed away a couple of weeks ago and she was around alot of different kids at the funeral home. Since 2 weeks is the incubation period I'm thinking its possible she was exposed there... I read that kids don't always run a fever but I kind of wish she would so I would know for sure! :)

Quoting Precious333:

we did calamine lotion and oatmeal baths. My son alsi had a fever and they got.it from daddy who had shingles...and of course they were itchy. My kids were 2 1/2 and 4 and the fevef came first for them. Was your 2 yr old exposed?

Quoting larissalarie:

Good luck!

Quoting Mommy2justone:

jessica1219
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Do you live anywhere near SA, TX??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)