Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Pain management tips please? :)

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:50 AM
  • 14 Replies
For labor and delivery.

I had stadol last time. Never again. It made me hallucinate!

Im 38+2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2my2boys
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:01 AM
1 mom liked this
mind over matter, focus on 1 object in the room breath through contractions, dim lights, foot rubs, back rubs...and remember the pain wont last forever even at its peak it will be over.....i didnt have any pain meds with my 3 kids didnt want them...dont like takin meds of any kind even when the pain was so bad lol I had pitocin with my second and that was the worst pain ever....after having them i was only sore no pain.....just stay focused and dont give in to the pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:25 AM

MOVEMENT! Moving into positions your body feels like it needs to be in is a big deal.

diamond8
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:06 PM

great question...and yes!! i had stadol last time as well( i was also induced and had an epidural).. ..its one of the reasons i am going natural this time... i swear you could have told me i was on a magic carpet and i would have said coooolllllllllll....uh not cool! if thats what it did to me lord only knows how it affected my baby....never again i'll bear the pain this go round

mommathea
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM

It is different for every person. Me, I have to have complete silence, and no one touching me durring contractions. I go into a zone durring contractions, and any outside influence will take that away.

2nd, I have a mantra that I tell myself. "That it is just 1 contraction, I can handle 1 contraction, I am strong and 1 contraction will not overcome me. I am a woman who was created to labor and birth, my body knows how to do this, trust my body."

When I fight labor, think about the pain, look at how much longer labor will be, I feel the pain 1,000x more.

I'm preganant with my 5th, my first was my only pain relief labor w/epidural. I've had one 1pit induced labor, that through zoning, and taking one contraction at a time was able to do so without pain meds. My other two were completely natrural.  

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I had a shot of fentinyl, but I've heard that 3 Tylenol pack as much punch.  (And supposedly at the moment that you're begging for drugs, you're almost there!)

Cynthje
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

For me being able to move as i please works, showers were great as well. I didnt do much to prepare myself, i just knew that my body was made for it and since all the women in my family had natural and home births i assumed that if they could so can i! Focus in breathing, i think women tend to panic and stop taking deep breaths during labor.

Also remember that the pain will be over as soon as the baby is born!

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Practice breathing now. I envisioned a lowercase letter "j". I inhaled to create the point of the j and with the exhalation imagined pushing my baby down and out while completing the hook of the j. I labored alone in my bathroom (ending w an unplanned nearly UC at home). This breathing technique helped me so much. Practice relaxing and breathing in this manner for 10+ minutes each night before bed and whenever else you feel like it.

Stay on top of each cx!! Don't lose yourself in the pain:) you can do it!!! Good luck mama!
kiki2382
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I did most of my laboring in a soaking tub filled with HOT water and lavender bath salts. It was plenty big enough for me to move around and find a position that worked for contractions. For me it was on my knees hanging my arms over the edge of the tub.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Movement, mediation, water, massage, vocalization, reminding myself that this is only temporary and that it is pain with a purpose- I am strong. 

mrs.hartman12
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I sat in a hot bath, listen to music and meditated. It work up until the last hour of labor. I am studying hypnobirthing for next time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)