Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

treating pink eye with breastmilk

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM
  • 14 Replies
My little one has pink eye in both eyes.
:(
The discharge is greenish yellow and thick/sticky so its a good bet that it is bacterial and not viral.

I've been putting breast milk in her eyes a couple times a day bit she really hates it, so I don't know how much is getting in there.

How long before I see some improvement? At what point do I need to give in and get her the antibiotic drops?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I used a little eye cup and placed it over the eye and tilted baby back. He absolutely hated it, but at least it got in his eye that way. I think trying to do drops wouldn't have worked with him fighting it.
It was completely gone within 2 days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:44 AM
What is an eye cup?
I doubt I have one, is there a way to improvise one?

Quoting larissalarie:

I used a little eye cup and placed it over the eye and tilted baby back. He absolutely hated it, but at least it got in his eye that way. I think trying to do drops wouldn't have worked with him fighting it.

larissalarie
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
It's just a little plastic cup a lot like a medicine cup, but more oblong shaped to go around the eye.

Any tiny container that you can put the breastmilk into and then fit over her eye would work.

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

What is an eye cup?

I doubt I have one, is there a way to improvise one?

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM

It should be gone within 48 hours.  Colloidal silver can be used to treat pink eye too.

TattoodMommy19
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Oh dear. It has already been 48 hours.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

It should be gone within 48 hours.  Colloidal silver can be used to treat pink eye too.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Just a couple times a day? I'd up that, especially if it's a fight. I've done this a couple times and it's always cleared up in a day. I use an eye dropper and just drop it in the eyes. If baby fights I drop it inThe corner of her eyes, even with her eyes closed it gets in there.
I suggest doing it at least four or five times a day, if not more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:39 AM
See I'd heard to do it 2-3 times a day.
But more can't hurt right? Lol

Quoting jellyphish:

Just a couple times a day? I'd up that, especially if it's a fight. I've done this a couple times and it's always cleared up in a day. I use an eye dropper and just drop it in the eyes. If baby fights I drop it inThe corner of her eyes, even with her eyes closed it gets in there.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
No, more cant hurt, only help. It's also a pain reliever. 2-3 times a day might work for lesser cases, but this sounds pretty bad.
I'm sure you already are, but make sure you're gently wiping the gook off the eyes with a clean, warm, damp wash cloth before you do it.

GL!

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah extra times cant hurt

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

Quoting jellyphish:

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope it gets better soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN