Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Induced, GD

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 42 Replies
In have gestational diabetes that's been controlled with my diet. But now at 36 wks my sugar levels r slightly over an my doctor let me know that they may feel inducing at 40 or even 39 weeks is best if he hasn't come yet due to risks if u have GD, esp if its not being controlled well. Has anyone had GD and been induced and had a successful natural childbirth? She know I'm against inducing and want to wait as long as possible. Hoping he comes on his own! But in the case I am induced I'm curious if anyone else has been and delivered natural. I really don't want a c section...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I have had an induction and no pain meds with a vaginal delivery. Being induced is not natural so I don't really count that as a natural birth. Vaginal yes, natural no.

I don't know enough about GD to give any help with that.

tansyflower
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM

what are your blood sugars running right now?

cpflum08
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM
I was induced at 40.4 with my first dd because of "low fluid" I got Cervidil and that was it. I really got lucky that's all I needed to jump start my labor with my first baby.
sj3starz
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Gd would cause a "large baby" which a majority of women can birth anyway. There's no reason why you should consent to an induction just because baby "could be" big. Also know that ultrasounds have been off by over 2 pounds either direction before. It's not uncommon. I was told I had a small baby, who came out over 8 lbs. I've also heard of people who were told baby was big and were induced with some serious complications because baby was small.

Induction also increases your chance of a c-section by 50%

That all said, you do what you think is best for you and baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortlilartist
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Sugars are About 20 or 30 over the highest 'normal' level they say.
I hope he comes early so I don't have to worry or b induced. Although I wanted 100% natural. If I am induced, yes it's not 'all' natural, but if I can avoid a c section and an epidural I will feel much better about the induction.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM
So true about the ultrasounds! I went in for an ultrasound the day I went into labor @40w 5d and they said she was going to be atleast 8 1/2 lbs! She was born 2 days later by emergency c-section at barely 7lbs lol

Quoting sj3starz:

Gd would cause a "large baby" which a majority of women can birth anyway. There's no reason why you should consent to an induction just because baby "could be" big. Also know that ultrasounds have been off by over 2 pounds either direction before. It's not uncommon. I was told I had a small baby, who came out over 8 lbs. I've also heard of people who were told baby was big and were induced with some serious complications because baby was small.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortlilartist
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Yes that's y I'm pushing to wait til 40 to induce. But it's not cause he is goin to be big. It's other risks they said about eclampsia or something with the placenta being affected. I'm discussing the details at my next apt, this was just mentioned to me by my doctor that we would discuss next time. The chance of induction so I wanted to ask on here.
Crossing my fingers it's not an issue and he comes on his own before the due date. Too many decisions to make before even being a parent :) just want to meet him and have him b healthy

Quoting sj3starz:

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
If you want a vaginal birth and this is your first baby, you REALLY need to avoid an induction. The c section rate for a mom being induced who hasn't delivered vaginally before is over 60% if I'm remembering correctly. I know it's SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the general 30% c section rate.
Take medication to control your sugar if necessary. I'm not sure what "complications" GD causes other than "big baby" and by 39/40 weeks baby is already big if they're gonna be, induction to save a few ounces more is pointless.
Quoting shortlilartist:

I hope he comes early so I don't have to worry or b induced. Although I wanted 100% natural. If I am induced, yes it's not 'all' natural, but if I can avoid a c section and an epidural I will feel much better about the induction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortlilartist
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Yea I am goin to hear my doctors side and research more on my own. My friend had her first baby induced and had her baby natural so it is possible. Just spoke to my mom and my sister was also induced and a natural birth so it depends. But all I can do is research and see what feels right for me. Hopefully he will be here before 40 wks and I won't need to decide :/

Quoting shortlilartist:

Yes that's y I'm pushing to wait til 40 to induce. But it's not cause he is goin to be big. It's other risks they said about eclampsia or something with the placenta being affected. I'm discussing the details at my next apt, this was just mentioned to me by my doctor that we would discuss next time. The chance of induction so I wanted to ask on here.

Crossing my fingers it's not an issue and he comes on his own before the due date. Too many decisions to make before even being a parent :) just want to meet him and have him b healthy

Quoting sj3starz:

tansyflower
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
4 moms liked this

okay to be perfectly honest, that is not a high enough number for me to even consider an induction.  if you were telling me that your sugar levels were like 200-250 then that might concern me...but anything under 200 is not enough to have to worry about the most serious risk of GD which would be baby falling into a diabetic coma or being born prematurely because he had gotten big enough your body felt it was time even though his lungs were not developed.  when mom has extremely high blood sugar (which your is not) then so does baby.  when baby is born their blood sugar drops significantly because now their pancreas has to regulate their own sugar lelevs.  the stress from having to overproduce insuklin for so long can have a serious affect on their ability to self regulate.  in your case that just wouldnt happen. 

if you have been controlling them up until this point then he would have not had rapid gain for your whole pregnancy and his chances of being premature would also be reduced significantly.  to me the risks of the complications from an inductions would be much more of a concern to me than waiting a few more weeks and going into labor naturally.

Quoting shortlilartist:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)