Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
In have gestational diabetes that's been controlled with my diet. But now at 36 wks my sugar levels r slightly over an my doctor let me know that they may feel inducing at 40 or even 39 weeks is best if he hasn't come yet due to risks if u have GD, esp if its not being controlled well. Has anyone had GD and been induced and had a successful natural childbirth? She know I'm against inducing and want to wait as long as possible. Hoping he comes on his own! But in the case I am induced I'm curious if anyone else has been and delivered natural. I really don't want a c section...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
tansyflower
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

btw i had borderline/slightly high blood sugers throught both of my pregnancies and with my first i went to 41 weeks 6 days....he was only 7 pounds 14 oz and i had him at home :)

my second went to 39 weeks 4 days and he was 8 pounds 12 oz and once again born at home :)

shortlilartist
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Thanks. I'm def goin to discuss this with my doc. In the end if is my decision; so I will make the most informed one I can. Def don't think I will b talked into an induction before 40 wks. Goin to ask their main concerns and explain why I don't feel induction is necessary and go from there. I don't care if he's big I just want him born healthy and the best way possible.

Quoting tansyflower:

okay to be perfectly honest, that is not a high enough number for me to even consider an induction.  if you were telling me that your sugar levels were like 200-250 then that might concern me...but anything under 200 is not enough to have to worry about the most serious risk of GD which would be baby falling into a diabetic coma or being born prematurely because he had gotten big enough your body felt it was time even though his lungs were not developed.  when mom has extremely high blood sugar (which your is not) then so does baby.  when baby is born their blood sugar drops significantly because now their pancreas has to regulate their own sugar lelevs.  the stress from having to overproduce insuklin for so long can have a serious affect on their ability to self regulate.  in your case that just wouldnt happen. 

if you have been controlling them up until this point then he would have not had rapid gain for your whole pregnancy and his chances of being premature would also be reduced significantly.  to me the risks of the complications from an inductions would be much more of a concern to me than waiting a few more weeks and going into labor naturally.

Quoting shortlilartist:

Sugars are About 20 or 30 over the highest 'normal' level they say.

I hope he comes early so I don't have to worry or b induced. Although I wanted 100% natural. If I am induced, yes it's not 'all' natural, but if I can avoid a c section and an epidural I will feel much better about the induction.

tansyflower
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

are you self monitering with a glucose meter at home or was this a reading from one of those orange drink glucose tests at the dr office?

Quoting shortlilartist:

Thanks. I'm def goin to discuss this with my doc. In the end if is my decision; so I will make the most informed one I can. Def don't think I will b talked into an induction before 40 wks. Goin to ask their main concerns and explain why I don't feel induction is necessary and go from there. I don't care if he's big I just want him born healthy and the best way possible.

Quoting tansyflower:

okay to be perfectly honest, that is not a high enough number for me to even consider an induction.  if you were telling me that your sugar levels were like 200-250 then that might concern me...but anything under 200 is not enough to have to worry about the most serious risk of GD which would be baby falling into a diabetic coma or being born prematurely because he had gotten big enough your body felt it was time even though his lungs were not developed.  when mom has extremely high blood sugar (which your is not) then so does baby.  when baby is born their blood sugar drops significantly because now their pancreas has to regulate their own sugar lelevs.  the stress from having to overproduce insuklin for so long can have a serious affect on their ability to self regulate.  in your case that just wouldnt happen. 

if you have been controlling them up until this point then he would have not had rapid gain for your whole pregnancy and his chances of being premature would also be reduced significantly.  to me the risks of the complications from an inductions would be much more of a concern to me than waiting a few more weeks and going into labor naturally.

Quoting shortlilartist:

I hope he comes early so I don't have to worry or b induced. Although I wanted 100% natural. If I am induced, yes it's not 'all' natural, but if I can avoid a c section and an epidural I will feel much better about the induction.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Are the readings high from teh doctors office or from home monitoring?

Have you had any signs of preeclampsia?

The placenta stuff is always used as an excuse and I personally have not seen a mom with GD have an issue with placenta getting "old".

If you must be induced...cervadil and foley bulb are the way to go.  The issues I have with induction is constant monitoring which means strapped to a bed not being able to move.  THAT limits how much pain relief mom can find from moving around...and leads to epidurals

shortlilartist
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM
I failed the 2 glucose drink tests. And just had a few higher readings from my self monitoring. I test 4 times a day
shortlilartist
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM
And no signs of anything else. So I will be discussing my reasons against it next apt. Thanks
tansyflower
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

those glucose tests are totally inaccurate....even non pregnant woman (and men lol) can fail those and it doesnt mean they have diabetes.  i mean its not like you are fasting every single day and then drinking a big gulp of orange drink for every meal is it?  so how can ONE test tell you what your blood sugar is going to be every time you eat?

get a A1C test done if you are still worried, at least that test will be accurate. home monitering is the only way to see how your blood sugar is doing accurately on a day to day basis.

a couple of high reading on a home meter is no big deal. just avoid the foods that caused the high readings. for me pizza and white rice were on my no no list.  keep a good food journel and make sure you take a fiber suppliment before meals and NEVER eat a carb without some fat/fiber/protien to slow the sugar absorbtion.

Quoting shortlilartist:

I failed the 2 glucose drink tests. And just had a few higher readings from my self monitoring. I test 4 times a day

shortlilartist
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks I have been doin pretty well w my diet. I will def be discussing my my doctor and avoiding induction unless of course, during monitoring of the baby shows something to be of concern. He seems healthy and good this far :)
mommathea
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

One thing you can do is to reduce your carb intake even lower and have smaller more frequent meals, also my midwife was telling me about a study that was recently put out that showed excersise for 20 mom, within 20 min of eating significantly lowers blood sugar and lower insulin spikes. She said that even a leisurely walk lowers blood sugar.  

I would not induce because of higher levels that you are seeing. As long as you are not spiking dramatically or have continual very high numbers then I would not worry about it.

GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting shortlilartist:

If this is your first hospital delivery, you need to be prepared for the agressiveness of medical professionals (nurses, OBs, etc) in recommending an epidural once you've been admitted. 

If the anathesiologists catch wind of a mama wanting a drug-free birth, they'll often try to convince her otherwise using fear-tactics.  There are a lot of things that they say, including the "dead baby" card!  And then if you're firm in telling them (or your OB) that you're not going to have the epidural, they'll try to get you to agree to having the port inserted "just in case" you need to have an emergency c-section.  Even if you say "no" once, they'll often come back often.  Sometimes they wait until a mama is emotionally vulnerable while in transition and try to sway her then, too!  :(

I just want you to be aware that the epidural is often a "hard sell" in a hospital birth, so make sure that you're firm in your resolve if you don't want the drugs or the port in your back "just in case."    (And make sure that your support team of spouse, mother, and doula will remind you that you really don't want it if you're starting to falter!)

Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN