Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In have gestational diabetes that's been controlled with my diet. But now at 36 wks my sugar levels r slightly over an my doctor let me know that they may feel inducing at 40 or even 39 weeks is best if he hasn't come yet due to risks if u have GD, esp if its not being controlled well. Has anyone had GD and been induced and had a successful natural childbirth? She know I'm against inducing and want to wait as long as possible. Hoping he comes on his own! But in the case I am induced I'm curious if anyone else has been and delivered natural. I really don't want a c section...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Replies (21-30):
tansyflower
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

i agree.  just the idea that they are pushing an induction when this is CLEARLY not a serious gestational diabetes situation is a bad sign.....i know you keep saying "i will talk to my dr and we will decide" but obviously this dr is already blowing this whole gd thing out of proportion and is not givng you accurate information.  that is a serious issue!

i was in your exact same situation sweety and my midwife NEVER EVER EVER told me that i had to do an induction...if anything she just pushed me harder to self moniter and eat right.  i good dr would not be pulling the induction card in this situation :(

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting shortlilartist:

Sugars are About 20 or 30 over the highest 'normal' level they say.
I hope he comes early so I don't have to worry or b induced. Although I wanted 100% natural. If I am induced, yes it's not 'all' natural, but if I can avoid a c section and an epidural I will feel much better about the induction.

If this is your first hospital delivery, you need to be prepared for the agressiveness of medical professionals (nurses, OBs, etc) in recommending an epidural once you've been admitted. 

If the anathesiologists catch wind of a mama wanting a drug-free birth, they'll often try to convince her otherwise using fear-tactics.  There are a lot of things that they say, including the "dead baby" card!  And then if you're firm in telling them (or your OB) that you're not going to have the epidural, they'll try to get you to agree to having the port inserted "just in case" you need to have an emergency c-section.  Even if you say "no" once, they'll often come back often.  Sometimes they wait until a mama is emotionally vulnerable while in transition and try to sway her then, too!  :(

I just want you to be aware that the epidural is often a "hard sell" in a hospital birth, so make sure that you're firm in your resolve if you don't want the drugs or the port in your back "just in case."    (And make sure that your support team of spouse, mother, and doula will remind you that you really don't want it if you're starting to falter!)

Good Luck!

shortlilartist
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Well this is NOT my doctor, he is another doc I just started seeing to monitor my GD... And he briefly mentioned that they don't like to let ppl go past the due date and about induction but we haven't spoken in detail yet about my specific case. Sooo being as I'm hoping to avoid it I am goin to discuss and hear his side. IF he brings it up again than I will share my strong feelings against it and go from there. They can't force me to do it if I don't feel right about it. But I just want to see what he thinks and why. And I feel that if there are no signs the baby will b in danger I can wait til my due date. Thanks

Quoting tansyflower:

i agree.  just the idea that they are pushing an induction when this is CLEARLY not a serious gestational diabetes situation is a bad sign.....i know you keep saying "i will talk to my dr and we will decide" but obviously this dr is already blowing this whole gd thing out of proportion and is not givng you accurate information.  that is a serious issue!

i was in your exact same situation sweety and my midwife NEVER EVER EVER told me that i had to do an induction...if anything she just pushed me harder to self moniter and eat right.  i good dr would not be pulling the induction card in this situation :(

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting shortlilartist:

I hope he comes early so I don't have to worry or b induced. Although I wanted 100% natural. If I am induced, yes it's not 'all' natural, but if I can avoid a c section and an epidural I will feel much better about the induction.

If this is your first hospital delivery, you need to be prepared for the agressiveness of medical professionals (nurses, OBs, etc) in recommending an epidural once you've been admitted. 

If the anathesiologists catch wind of a mama wanting a drug-free birth, they'll often try to convince her otherwise using fear-tactics.  There are a lot of things that they say, including the "dead baby" card!  And then if you're firm in telling them (or your OB) that you're not going to have the epidural, they'll try to get you to agree to having the port inserted "just in case" you need to have an emergency c-section.  Even if you say "no" once, they'll often come back often.  Sometimes they wait until a mama is emotionally vulnerable while in transition and try to sway her then, too!  :(

I just want you to be aware that the epidural is often a "hard sell" in a hospital birth, so make sure that you're firm in your resolve if you don't want the drugs or the port in your back "just in case."    (And make sure that your support team of spouse, mother, and doula will remind you that you really don't want it if you're starting to falter!)

Good Luck!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Quoting mommathea: One thing you can do is to reduce your carb intake even lower and have smaller more frequent meals, also my midwife was telling me about a study that was recently put out that showed excersise for 20 mom, within 20 min of eating significantly lowers blood sugar and lower insulin spikes. She said that even a leisurely walk lowers blood sugar.  I would not induce because of higher levels that you are seeing. As long as you are not spiking dramatically or have continual very high numbers then I would not worry about it.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

mama2my2boys
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM
not only can you have a big baby (not likely) but having gd is causes your placenta to get old fast and doesnt give the baby what it needs and its caused from high sugars.....i had gd with my 2nd it was controlled and gd with my 3rd had it early on i had to test 4x a day AND TAKE INSULIN 4X a day.......so induction with gd isn't always because of babys size it has to do with high levels of sugar and the placenta aging to fast.

Quoting sj3starz:

Gd would cause a "large baby" which a majority of women can birth anyway. There's no reason why you should consent to an induction just because baby "could be" big. Also know that ultrasounds have been off by over 2 pounds either direction before. It's not uncommon. I was told I had a small baby, who came out over 8 lbs. I've also heard of people who were told baby was big and were induced with some serious complications because baby was small.

Induction also increases your chance of a c-section by 50%

That all said, you do what you think is best for you and baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2my2boys
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
i was induced i had gd and low fluids i was 37 weeks....induction went fine had her in 8hours no pain meds etc she was 7lb 6oz...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

just stay educated!  and remember, they are surgeons by trade and most of the interventions they insist upon eventually lead to c-section.  if your sugar levels are in borderline and under control without medication then there is no reason why you cant go over your EDD.

Quoting shortlilartist:

Well this is NOT my doctor, he is another doc I just started seeing to monitor my GD... And he briefly mentioned that they don't like to let ppl go past the due date and about induction but we haven't spoken in detail yet about my specific case. Sooo being as I'm hoping to avoid it I am goin to discuss and hear his side. IF he brings it up again than I will share my strong feelings against it and go from there. They can't force me to do it if I don't feel right about it. But I just want to see what he thinks and why. And I feel that if there are no signs the baby will b in danger I can wait til my due date. Thanks

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting shortlilartist:

Good Luck!

tansyflower
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

but your situation was slightly different.  just keep that in mind!  she has only had a few high reading while monitering at home which is not the same thing as having to take insulin to control it.  right now she is borderline and has it under control with diet.  it doesnt make sense to treat someone like they have full blown GD when they have only had a few high readings throughout their pregnancy.

Quoting mama2my2boys:

not only can you have a big baby (not likely) but having gd is causes your placenta to get old fast and doesnt give the baby what it needs and its caused from high sugars.....i had gd with my 2nd it was controlled and gd with my 3rd had it early on i had to test 4x a day AND TAKE INSULIN 4X a day.......so induction with gd isn't always because of babys size it has to do with high levels of sugar and the placenta aging to fast.

Quoting sj3starz:

Gd would cause a "large baby" which a majority of women can birth anyway. There's no reason why you should consent to an induction just because baby "could be" big. Also know that ultrasounds have been off by over 2 pounds either direction before. It's not uncommon. I was told I had a small baby, who came out over 8 lbs. I've also heard of people who were told baby was big and were induced with some serious complications because baby was small.

BaileysMom9
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM

This is really good info!  I was induced (ruptured my membranes) at 41 wks with my first and wanted a natural birth.  I was not educated enough... not saying that you aren't (or sure enough of my abilities) to go through with it, and ended up with an epidural at about 5cm after dr and nurse were very "sympathetic" of my pain and wanted to "ease my discomfort".  They really do try to push epidurals/pain meds even when you have been clear with them. 

Also, avoid the heplock if you can and remember that YOU have the right to decide how and where you will labor in your room.  Do not let them scare you into feeling like you need to be monitored constantly.  That was one of my main regrets with my previous hospital births (have had three), is that I didn't know what my options were.  I didn't KNOW that I could tell them to take off the monitors, or refuse the heplock, or refuse the antibiotics (last birth) for GBS.  Do not let the hospital staff or your OB try to push anything on you that you are not comfortable with or don't want.  It's hard when you're in labor and vulnerable, so make sure (like pp said) that you have a lot of resolve and your support person/people know exactly how you feel and will back you up, so you can avoid the bullying. 

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting shortlilartist:

Good Luck!

Magnolia7
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

The placenta can be monitored by u/s if you're worried.  Signs and symptoms of pre-eclampsia can also be tested.  So while those things can happen, unless there's proof that it's happening I would be very wary about agreeing to induce.

Blood sugars rise in a linear fashion throughout pregnancy, GD or no, so it should be expected that yours are rising a bit.

I would suggest you drink LOTS of water, eat lean/healthy sources of protein throughout the day (esp important if concerned about pre-e), and avoid high fat foods.  Of course you need fat in your diet, but it will slow overall digestion and your sugars will stay higher for longer.  So the focus right now should be lean proteins, lots of veggies and other complex carbs.

I had a 10lb2oz baby.  He was my first and they had estimated he'd actually be a bit small, so there wasn't a lot of fuss to deliver early.  He was born at 41 weeks vaginally without distocia or blood sugar issues.  I did not have GD,  he is just a big baby who grew into a big kid.  He's always been easy to spot in class because he's always the tallest.  :)  

Now, after he was born the OB saw how big he was and wished she had just given me a c-section instead of staying up until 1230 for him to be born.  Lovely. 

Quoting shortlilartist:

Yes that's y I'm pushing to wait til 40 to induce. But it's not cause he is goin to be big. It's other risks they said about eclampsia or something with the placenta being affected. I'm discussing the details at my next apt, this was just mentioned to me by my doctor that we would discuss next time. The chance of induction so I wanted to ask on here.
Crossing my fingers it's not an issue and he comes on his own before the due date. Too many decisions to make before even being a parent :) just want to meet him and have him b healthy

Quoting sj3starz:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Ummm... Isn't cervadil the absolute worst method of induction? It's clearly stated in the insert to never use in pregnant women and it can cause all kinds of horrible problems, Yes?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Are the readings high from teh doctors office or from home monitoring?

Have you had any signs of preeclampsia?

The placenta stuff is always used as an excuse and I personally have not seen a mom with GD have an issue with placenta getting "old".

If you must be induced...cervadil and foley bulb are the way to go.  The issues I have with induction is constant monitoring which means strapped to a bed not being able to move.  THAT limits how much pain relief mom can find from moving around...and leads to epidurals

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)