Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In have gestational diabetes that's been controlled with my diet. But now at 36 wks my sugar levels r slightly over an my doctor let me know that they may feel inducing at 40 or even 39 weeks is best if he hasn't come yet due to risks if u have GD, esp if its not being controlled well. Has anyone had GD and been induced and had a successful natural childbirth? She know I'm against inducing and want to wait as long as possible. Hoping he comes on his own! But in the case I am induced I'm curious if anyone else has been and delivered natural. I really don't want a c section...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Replies (31-40):
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I think you are thinking of cytotec. 

Quoting jellyphish:

Ummm... Isn't cervadil the absolute worst method of induction? It's clearly stated in the insert to never use in pregnant women and it can cause all kinds of horrible problems, Yes?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Are the readings high from teh doctors office or from home monitoring?

Have you had any signs of preeclampsia?

The placenta stuff is always used as an excuse and I personally have not seen a mom with GD have an issue with placenta getting "old".

If you must be induced...cervadil and foley bulb are the way to go.  The issues I have with induction is constant monitoring which means strapped to a bed not being able to move.  THAT limits how much pain relief mom can find from moving around...and leads to epidurals

Pregnancy%20ticker

http://livinginjoyfulchaos.blogspot.com/
Make a pregnancy ticker
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Yup. I am. Thank you!

Quoting joyful_mama:

I think you are thinking of cytotec. 

Quoting jellyphish:

Ummm... Isn't cervadil the absolute worst method of induction? It's clearly stated in the insert to never use in pregnant women and it can cause all kinds of horrible problems, Yes?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Are the readings high from teh doctors office or from home monitoring?

Have you had any signs of preeclampsia?

The placenta stuff is always used as an excuse and I personally have not seen a mom with GD have an issue with placenta getting "old".

If you must be induced...cervadil and foley bulb are the way to go.  The issues I have with induction is constant monitoring which means strapped to a bed not being able to move.  THAT limits how much pain relief mom can find from moving around...and leads to epidurals

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM

What about trying to induce yourself naturally before having to go into the hospital for it? I did that with my first daughter due to my blood pressure to avoid induction 

shortlilartist
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Yes I will def try that. Any suggestions welcome. And in response to other posts I am controlling my diet and have had pretty regular sugars besides the few high ones. So I don't see any problem with waiting. Thanks for the advice. I have a husband and mother who are very pro natural birth and are my support system to avoid drugs and the hep lock so I know I have them to help voice my concerns :) who knows, he may come by 40 wks. I'm goin to try all the natural inducing techniques ppl have told me

Quoting 1stTimeMom1982:

What about trying to induce yourself naturally before having to go into the hospital for it? I did that with my first daughter due to my blood pressure to avoid induction 

1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Oh ok :) With my daughter what worked best for me was the nipple stimulation. I was told to also try sex, walking, etc.

Quoting shortlilartist:

Yes I will def try that. Any suggestions welcome. And in response to other posts I am controlling my diet and have had pretty regular sugars besides the few high ones. So I don't see any problem with waiting. Thanks for the advice. I have a husband and mother who are very pro natural birth and are my support system to avoid drugs and the hep lock so I know I have them to help voice my concerns :) who knows, he may come by 40 wks. I'm goin to try all the natural inducing techniques ppl have told me

Quoting 1stTimeMom1982:

CLEKate
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM

This is NOT ABOUT THE BABY.  This is about the health and safety of the mother.  Her doctor mentioned pre-eclampsia which occurs twice as often in women with GD.  The only "cure" for pre-eclampsia is to deliver the baby.

Your OB is doing a great job by alerting you of the possiblity ahead of time and opening up the discussion.  Should you develop signs/symptoms of pre-eclampsia, you will have already have thought about things.

Don't get hung up on this "natural delivery" thing.  Really, so long as your child is born safetly, the rest is water under the bridge.  Don't let it get in the way of making a sound decision about your body!

doulala
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

But you said you are controlling it well.    Maybe not perfectly, but not dangerous, not within a level that warrants intervening perhaps.

my sugar levels r slightly over

doulala
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting CLEKate:

This is NOT ABOUT THE BABY.  This is about the health and safety of the mother.  Her doctor mentioned pre-eclampsia which occurs twice as often in women with GD.  The only "cure" for pre-eclampsia is to deliver the baby.

Your OB is doing a great job by alerting you of the possiblity ahead of time and opening up the discussion.  Should you develop signs/symptoms of pre-eclampsia, you will have already have thought about things.

Don't get hung up on this "natural delivery" thing.  Really, so long as your child is born safetly, the rest is water under the bridge.  Don't let it get in the way of making a sound decision about your body!

Weighing risks means seeing that there is a real concern before adding all the risks that come with inducing, though.
It is about the health and safety of mother and baby.

Informed Consent is key!

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Ummm... yeah it is. I get what you're saying that if mom's health is really in danger then, yes, an induction may be the best choice. Induction carries risks, for mom and baby that must be considered. 

Quoting CLEKate:

Pregnancy%20ticker

http://livinginjoyfulchaos.blogspot.com/
Make a pregnancy ticker
Magnolia7
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM
2 moms liked this

While there may a be a risk and it is important to look for signs and symptoms she is not pre-eclamptic.  We could all become pre-eclamptic under the right circumstances, so all women should be induced?  No.  It's a scare tactic.  A doctor who tries to scare and bully patients into unnecessary treatment is not doing a great job. (Also, delivery does not cure pre-eclampsia.  A seizure soon after birth is considered eclampsia).

The reason the women in this group want natural birth is because it is safer for both mother and baby.  Unnecessay interventions put both mom and baby at risk.  Blindly following what a doctor says is not making a sound decision. This mom obviouly knows that.

Quoting CLEKate:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)