Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

extended rear facing

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:32 PM
  • 45 Replies
I've been out of the baby loop for 11 yrs. I've never heard of this. What are the pros and cons of this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM
5 moms liked this

There aren't really any cons unless you count the back of your seat being kind of dirty from having a kid kicking it.  Rear facing has been found in crash tests to be 500% safer for kids than forward facing.  You can google crash tests, but the basic physics is that when a child is rear facing, the carseat takes the brunt of the crash forces rather than the child.  Since a child's spine doesn't begin fusing until somewhere between 3 and 6 years old, this is a lifesaving difference.  Car accidents are the number one killer of children under 14 in the US, so I figure anything I can do to keep my kid safer in the car is a good idea.  Check out the car seat safety group for more complete information about car seats. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Pros: in a car accident your child is far less likely to break his neck

Cons: you can't see your child's cute face in the rearview mirror.

If it wasn't so much safer to rf than to ff, we wouldn't need to rf our infants at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM

There are only pros to this, the longer a child rf the safer they are.

kiki2382
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I had my almost 3yo ff, but I just switched him back to rf a couple days ago after reading some recent car accident stories.
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Thanks Ladies!
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Everyone already gave good info! RF is so much safer. My son is almost 3. He's still RF at 31 lbs & 39"! Yay! My youngest will RF until they outgrow the best seat for RF the longest that I can afford lol. There are some good videos on youtube showing the differences between crashes RF and ff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
You want a good seat that will last a long time RF. Not all seats are created equal in this! The Graco Head Wise 70 or the Diono Radian is great for ERF
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Like the others said, there are no cons. And the pros are enormous. The child is 500% safer rear facing than forward facing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Pros, pros, pros only!

Except of course that your stupid/annoying friends/family might have rude comments because they don't take the time to educate themselves as well.

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:46 PM

What's considered "extended"? Carseats are one thing I don't know a whole lot about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)