Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
But I can't help but be sad to find out my best friend is being induced on Sunday per her decision. She's only 40 weeks and 4 days right now and ALREADY TWO CM. Dilated!! That's way "better" than I was and I let myself go into labor naturally and ended up with my perfect birth, no tearing etc. She's becoming impatient wihich we can all understand but I don't think she's being rational. To make matters worse, in my opinion, she has no idea when her last period is making her due date her "due date". It's none of my business I'm just very hopeful for things to run smoothly and her to progress on her on before unnecessary measures induce her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Replies (11-20):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Nobody can force you to have an induction,you have to consent weather you're 42 weeks or 38 :-)
They can certainly pressure and scare you to try to force agreement, but many (most) doctors do it long before 42 weeks arrives, sadly.

Quoting Beliciasmommy:

I heard that you can't carry the baby over 42 weeks without being induced is that true? I don't know why your friend is rushing the baby will be there no matter what in no time :) I feel as all women should wait it out even of they go past their expected "due date"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Yep. And even if you know the day you conceived, it's not like a cake that's done exactly 38 weeks later at 40 weeks pregnant. All babies develop differently both inside & outside the womb, so some are done "cooking" sooner than others!

Quoting Magnolia7:

You can most certainly carry a baby past 42 weeks.  However, an OB will often tell you that they aren't going to "let" or "allow" you to go past 40-42 weeks. The pressure will be on most certainly!  They will find a reason to tell you that your baby is in danger and needs out now, whether accurate or not.

The thing is that due dates are still such an estimate!  Even the most experienced birth attendant cannot tell a women when she actually conceived.  So they could estimate you at 42 weeks, but really you're at 39 or 40, etc.

Quoting Beliciasmommy:

I heard that you can't carry the baby over 42 weeks without being induced is that true? I don't know why your friend is rushing the baby will be there no matter what in no time :) I feel as all women should wait it out even of they go past their expected "due date"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I always get sad when I hear of  unnecessary inductions :/

MDWife12
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Yeah that stuff bugs me too :/ even though shes a 2 that doesn't really mean anything if it makes you feel better! :)

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Quoting BridgetMc: That is rough! Sometimes the hardest thing to do is bite your tongue to save a relationship. I'd say the best thing to do is just be there for her when she needs you. It's doubtful you'd be able to change her mind but she'll remember your support.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Mitzi31
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM

It's sad people think they have to get induced just cause the baby is a few days late (according the them). Everyone ovulates differently and to me anywhere from 38 - 42 weeks isn't early or late. There's 2 weeks there that you could have actually conceived and the due date is just a guess as to when you actually ovulated. I wish more people understood that cause there may be less inductions. :-/

I hope everything goes ok!

tansyflower
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM

if you are doing fertility treatments you can know for sure.  i tested 8/9 days post ovulation for each of my pregnancies (and got positives) but i was also doing my fertilty treatments so all my hormone therapy and accupuncture to induce ovulation was right on target.  i knew the exact date i got pregnant both times. 

but most woman do not do that sort of thing....they just try until they get pregnant and the specific date they conceive just gets lost in the shuffle!  plus i hate it when woman go by what the ultrasound says, especially a later untrasound.  they can be so inaccurate!

Quoting Magnolia7:

You can most certainly carry a baby past 42 weeks.  However, an OB will often tell you that they aren't going to "let" or "allow" you to go past 40-42 weeks. The pressure will be on most certainly!  They will find a reason to tell you that your baby is in danger and needs out now, whether accurate or not.

The thing is that due dates are still such an estimate!  Even the most experienced birth attendant cannot tell a women when she actually conceived.  So they could estimate you at 42 weeks, but really you're at 39 or 40, etc.

Quoting Beliciasmommy:

tansyflower
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

lol exactly!  even though i knew for sure when i conceived my first still went to 41 weeks 6 days....towards the end my midwife kept asking me if i was "sure of my dates" lol because if i wanted to i could have "forgotten" and pushed it up a week or two.  then she would have fudged them for me so i wouldnt have transfer because of the stupid 42 week rule our state puts on homebirths that midwifes attends. 

Quoting larissalarie:

Yep. And even if you know the day you conceived, it's not like a cake that's done exactly 38 weeks later at 40 weeks pregnant. All babies develop differently both inside & outside the womb, so some are done "cooking" sooner than others!

Quoting Magnolia7:

Quoting Beliciasmommy:

Beliciasmommy
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM
:( but is there any real health concerns of going over?

butterflyk1ssez
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM

It is not your battle to fight, mama. Just support her and encourage her that she can do this and take her out for lunch and for walks. My best friend had an induction at 40wk because her OB kept telling her that her son as over 8 lbs and was nearing the 10 lb range. I just said she has options and I told her about the intervention rate when unnecessary inductions happen. In the end, she had a healthy, non complicated labor and delivery of her son who was only 7 lbs barely.Thankfully.

I am happy my midwife won't start talking about inductions with me until 42 weeks though.

Pregnancy Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)