Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

possible sinus infection-home remedies?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

I think I might have a sinus infection but I don't really want to take meds for it until I have to.

What are some good home remedies to try? I read ACV works, so I've been drinking some of that today and it does help a little.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Autumn355
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM
A few drops of tea tree oil in some boiling water, inhale the steam.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Magnolia7
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

ACV is great for anything, helps to get the body more alkaline to fight things off. 

Garlic, raw, is the best antimicrobial in my opinion.  Crush it, let it sit out for at least ten minutes and swallow it down (with some honey if that helps).

Oil of oregano is my second favorite, but not if you're pregnant.  There are pills, also you can add a few drops to hot water and inhale the steam.

Vitamin C, D, and zinc will help with healing.  Nettle tea and quercitin supplements will give you some anti-hitamine action.

Then rinse those sinuses with a saline solution through a neti pot 2-3 times a day.

larissalarie
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Also, saline nasal spray to flush out the sinuses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chiarore
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I use a neti pot with a drop of tea tree or lavender essential oil, but I imagine if you're not used to that just a neti pot would work well :)
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Lactating? Breast milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:34 PM
EOs are contraindicated for contact with mucus membranes like that. They destroy mucus membranes and that can sting like a mofo!

Quoting chiarore:

I use a neti pot with a drop of tea tree or lavender essential oil, but I imagine if you're not used to that just a neti pot would work well :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chiarore
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Really? My herbalist recommended the lavender. I'll have to talk to her about it :)

Quoting jellyphish:

EOs are contraindicated for contact with mucus membranes like that. They destroy mucus membranes and that can sting like a mofo!

Quoting chiarore:

princess_peach
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM
How would you use the breast milk for it? Drinking or in a netti pot?

Quoting jellyphish:

Lactating? Breast milk.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Herbalism is different from aromatherapy. Obviously I cant speak for her, but I'm a certified aromatherapist with over 200 hrs of accredited education in the field. And I know very little
About herbalism.
You could make a tea with lavender herb and use that, that would be safe (there may be better teas for this though), but essential oils can not go in the nose. It's basic eo proper use and safety.
Quoting chiarore:

Really? My herbalist recommended the lavender. I'll have to talk to her about it :)

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting chiarore:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Drops in your nose multiple times a day. I've cleared up a sinus infection in a day this way.

Quoting princess_peach:

How would you use the breast milk for it? Drinking or in a netti pot?

Quoting jellyphish:

Lactating? Breast milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN