Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM
  • 11 Replies

Are there any natural treatments for ADHD? I have a friend who takes medicine for it and she's been searching for something natural but hasn't been able to find anything that works. She's a law student and currently studying for the bar exam, so she needs the medicine right now but she's definitely up for trying something natural, if there is anything.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Usually altering diet is helpful. Cutting out processed foods, especially dyes and fake sugar from what I know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Dh has adhd and doesnt take anything. Ibcan ask him how he copes and geta work done.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, dye-free diet... basically whole foods and nothing processed.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Quoting larissalarie: Usually altering diet is helpful. Cutting out processed foods, especially dyes and fake sugar from what I know.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Quoting Mrs.Salz: Gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, dye-free diet... basically whole foods and nothing processed.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
This plus also other supplements or vitamins can help. Calcium and magnesium are big ones. Vitamin D and vitamin B12

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, dye-free diet... basically whole foods and nothing processed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissMia22
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:33 PM
I drink coffee. And take breaks when doing something every 30-60 mins for about 10 mins. I make a lot of lists and plan ahead. Also try to eat as healthy as possible and less meat more grains and veggies. Excersize regularly is a big help too.

This is how I have managed it for 7 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I have ADHD, was diagnosed in 2006 after my college councelor realized something wasnting right with me not being able to focus on my studies and she sent me to be tested. 

First off she needs to make sure its truely ADHD because it and ADD are over diagnosed and used as a catch all when it could be something else. 

Natural ways would be to change her diet, cut out all processed foods and limit sugar intake big time. Black coffee is great for those that are hyperactive, Im a lot calmer and mellow after having a cup or two. Get up and move every so often and stretch. take a good multi vitamin.

BaileysMom9
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly...  We noticed a huge change in our 3 yr old when we took gluten out of his diet.  He's not ADHD, but was super emotional, clingy, and had random silly tantrums over nothing... had been that way since before he could talk.  He also had digestive issues, and looking back it's clear he had a gluten sensitivity (although no dr would ever agree with me on that), but I digress.  Anyway, food sensitivities can manifest themselves in emotional disorders more commonly than people think.  Once we cut out gluten he became happier and a lot more stable emotionally.  I know your friend's symptoms are completely different, but it may be a sign of food sensitivities nonetheless.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Autumn355
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Lavender tincture might help. Or lavender/ chamomile tincture. Those are pretty common herbs and both help calm the central nervous system. You could look up other herbs along the same lines.
Tincture: fill a mason jar about halfway with the herbs then fill up with 90 or 100 proof vodka. Label it with date and shake it every day or so for 6 weeks. Then strain and put in clean jar or bottle, label. Tincture is good for acouple of years. Take a few drops whenever you feel its necessary. You can also add a few drops to your favorite drink. If you do not want to use alcohol, or are making for children, you can substitute vegetable glycerin instead of vodka!!

Go to mountainroseherbs.com for all the supplies. All their herbs are organic!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)