Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Getting Husband On Board

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:08 AM
  • 8 Replies
I need some advice on how to help my husband understand how important some of my more natural and instinctual parenting methods are to me and how beneficial it is to our 5 month old baby. With our first two kids I was young and naive so I didn't question issues like CIO as much. Now I'm really against it and he just isn't on the same page yet. It doesn't help that anytime we talk about it my mind blanks from frustration. Have any good reading material (short to keep his attention!) or suggestions on discussing it without an argument?

(Please go easy on him. I already know he's a dummy for needing it laid out to him.)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kiki2382
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
You could try checking out the book "beyond the sling" by Mayim Bialik. There's a lot of good info in there and you could discuss one chapter at a time.
MalakbelLacuna
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Im sorry you are ging through this. When our babies are young I take the lead. He just follows lol. Our little one is five months as well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
princess_peach
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I know a little how you feel. I do not agree with CIO, but dh is for it. I would try to explain why I feel the way I do but it didn't work. I also knew he wouldn't just believe any article I handed to him either because of course I would give him things to "prove my point." Finally I asked him to research it for himself and if he could find scientific evidence showing that it really was safe and better than other methods, I would drop it. He appreciated that and after doing his own research, now agrees with me. It's still hard for him, but he is much more understanding and supportive. We did the same process when I wanted a home birth and with vaccines.
thundersky
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM

i discuss things like that from a kids point of view. like as a kid when this happend all i wanted was X from my parents but didnt get it and this is how it made me feel. 

o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I like this idea. Maybe I'll text him a few links about it and see where that goes. Thanks

Quoting princess_peach:

I know a little how you feel. I do not agree with CIO, but dh is for it. I would try to explain why I feel the way I do but it didn't work. I also knew he wouldn't just believe any article I handed to him either because of course I would give him things to "prove my point." Finally I asked him to research it for himself and if he could find scientific evidence showing that it really was safe and better than other methods, I would drop it. He appreciated that and after doing his own research, now agrees with me. It's still hard for him, but he is much more understanding and supportive. We did the same process when I wanted a home birth and with vaccines.
o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I've tried. We were raised very differently. He thinks I was spoiled. He grew up with his dad who was an alcoholic marine. Discipline is all he knows, but he's sort of cocky in that he thinks it worked well on him. :/

Quoting thundersky:

i discuss things like that from a kids point of view. like as a kid when this happend all i wanted was X from my parents but didnt get it and this is how it made me feel. 

outstandingLove
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I don't know if this will work, but if you think it is something he will understand you should try it.

Babies are little people. So, if you were screaming and crying and that is all you could do, would your husband just walk away and let you cry or would he be there for you and try to comfort you in any way he knows how?

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Perhaps share this book..  Dr Sears'  Becoming a Father 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)