Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

In need of a natural shampoo

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:12 AM
  • 12 Replies

I really want to try no poo...but I color my hair. I'm 24 and I have grays that I am not ready to rock yet. 

So not coloring my hair isn't an option, lol, they are very noticible. 

I've heard a number of bad things about no poo and color treated hair, so I was wondering if using an all natural shampoo would help fix my hair the same way bs/acv would?

Any ideas?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Ugh I understand completly! I just turned 26 and I have so many silver/white hairs its not even funny(had them since 18), I have died my hair in the past and I also no poo. For me it doesnt seem to make any difference It seems that with no poo my whites all just kinda blend into my head and they don't stick up all crazy every where so they are not as noticeable now that I quite dying it. If you are not ready for that have you tried Dr.Bronners or lush shampoo bars?

littlemonaghan
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Well to be completely honest I haven't died my hair since April of last year. Just didn't have the $200 to drop at the hair salon. I would like to get it dyed again though, probably again in April before my husband comes home.

I wonder if I used no poo until I went to get my hair dyed, then used a natural shampoo after that? Hmm.

I just want nice hair again. My hair is destroyed! Dry, frizzy, brittle, always falling out. Everytime I wash it, it still feels weird after. I'm not happy with it. I can't do anything with it, it just falls flat. I need to be revived. 

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

Ugh I understand completly! I just turned 26 and I have so many silver/white hairs its not even funny(had them since 18), I have died my hair in the past and I also no poo. For me it doesnt seem to make any difference It seems that with no poo my whites all just kinda blend into my head and they don't stick up all crazy every where so they are not as noticeable now that I quite dying it. If you are not ready for that have you tried Dr.Bronners or lush shampoo bars?

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Unfortunately dying hair kinda destroys it:/ You could just go straight to a natural shampoo and then the acv for a conditioner also honey really helps with fixing some of the damage. My hair used to look like straw it was dry frizzy and just gross. I have no pooed since October and after the couple week long transition time my hair is wonderful. I love the softness the shine and all the curls. There are lots of other ladies on here that may know more as I am still learning myself but i think that it is different for everyone you just gotta find what works for you.  

kiki2382
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I've heard if you treat your hair with a mix of olve oil, banana, and an egg, it can really help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
buffalove23
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I use lush shampoo bars and their solid conditioner. Have been for almost three years now. I also color my hair once a month (I've had grey roots forever now). I've noticed with the lush shampoo I can go a good three-four days btwn washes. You do have to watch some of the shampoos though bc some contain sea salt which will strip color.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

is henna an option?

NDFanatik
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I color my hair and no poo. 

What I used before no poo was Jason. 

littlemonaghan
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Does it strip the color out faster? 

Make it take longer to dry? (I;ve heard that from a lot of people, and my hair takes a long time to dry as it is)

What do you do after you get it colored? Do you use regualr shampoo to wash out the excess dye? 

Quoting NDFanatik:

I color my hair and no poo. 

What I used before no poo was Jason. 

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I tried no poo twice, I gave it a shot in the summer and tried it again in the winter, was ok at the beginning then just got gross, so I started to buy shampoo from traders joe that's working out pretty good and has all natural ingredients, and for the body I use the Italian soap "marsiglia" hats the best, made all with natural ingredients, is the only soap that's allowed to use in streams and rivers in Italy because it doesn't  pollute 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Lush is the closest I've found to natural shampoo. And I believe they have stuff for colored hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)